459. Rabbi Yehuda continued with the next verse: "If you do well, shall you not be accepted (Heb. s'et)? And if you do not well, sin crouches at the door" (Beresheet 4:7). HE SAID THAT this is what THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, said to him, If you improve your behavior then there shall be an acceptance. What is S'et? It is synonymous with WHAT WAS SAID ABOUT REUBEN: "The excellency of dignity (Heb. s'et)" (Beresheet 49:3), because the firstborn has an added virtue and advantage in everything, and it depends upon his actions. Hence, THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, SAID, "If you do well, shall you not be accepted? And if you do not well, sin crouches at the door."
460. HE ASKS: Which doorway DOES THE TEXT REFER TO WHEN IT READS, "SIN CROUCHES AT THE DOOR?" HE ANSWERS: This is the upper doorway through which Judgments come because of the evil deeds of humans. This door is also referred to in the verse: "Open to me the gates of righteousness" (Tehilim 118:19). IT IS THE GATE OF MALCHUT CALLED 'RIGHTEOUSNESS.' Sin crouches at that gate OF MALCHUT and this is the Angel of Death who exacts payment from you.
461. Come and behold: Adam was born on the day of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year). Rosh Hashanah is the secret of the upper and lower, REFERRING TO THE MALE AND FEMALE PRINCIPLES, WHO ARE CALLED THE SUPERNAL MAN, AND TO THE LOWER MAN. There is Rosh Hashanah above, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN AND HIS FEMALE PRINCIPLE WHEN THEY ARE IN A STATE OF JUDGMENT, and there is a Rosh Hashanah below, IN THE FRAME OF TIME, WHICH IS THE SIXTH DAY OF CREATION, THE DAY WHEN LOWER MAN WAS CREATED. THIS TEACHES US THAT MAN WAS CREATED BY THE SECRET OF JUDGMENT, FOR HE WAS CREATED ON LOWER ROSH HASHANAH. THIS IS CONNECTED TO THE ASPECT OF ABOVE, UPPER ROSH HASHANAH, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN AND HIS FEMALE PRINCIPLE IN A STATE OF JUDGMENT. On Rosh Hashanah, the barren women are visited. How do we know this happens on Rosh Hashanah? Because it is written: "And Hashem visited Sarah" (Beresheet 21:1). The reference to the term "And (Vav) Hashem" is precise TO INDICATE THAT it was on Rosh Hashanah THAT SHE WAS VISITED. WHENEVER THE SCRIPTURE USES THE TERM 'AND (VAV) HASHEM," IT ALLUDES TO ZEIR ANPIN AND HIS COURTHOUSE - WHICH INDICATES JUDGMENT, WHICH IS THE UPPER ROSH HASHANAH. Because Adam was born on Rosh Hashanah, he was born under the influence of Judgment that then prevailed in the world. Thus, it is precisely so that "sin crouches at the door," ALLUDING TO THE ANGEL OF DEATH, to exact payment from you. And the verse: "And to you shall be his desire" (Beresheet 4:7) OF THE ANGEL OF DEATH, TO PUNISH YOU until he destroys you.
462. "Yet you may rule over him" (Ibid.) is a hidden reference to the verse: "And You do preserve them all" (Nechemyah 9:6), WHICH ALLUDES TO MALCHUT, CALLED 'YOU' WHO IS REFERRED TO HERE AS GIVING LIFE TO ALL - EVEN THE KLIPOT. Consequently, it is said that the Holy One, blessed be He, does not rule, MEANING THAT HIS CONTROL IS NOT EVIDENT except when all the wicked people are destroyed. Thus, when the Angel of Death has destroyed them, the Holy One, blessed be He, will control him and prevent him from causing harm to the world. This is as is written: "Yet you" - WHICH IS MALCHUT - "may rule over him." THIS MEANS THAT MALCHUT WILL CONTROL THE ANGEL OF DEATH AFTER HE HAS ADMINISTERED JUDGMENT TO THE WICKED AND WILL NO LONGER ALLOW HIM TO DAMAGE THE WORLD OR ITS INHABITANTS. Hence, the term "you" is precise, BECAUSE IT IS THE NAME OF MALCHUT.
463. Rabbi Yitzchak said: The government is joined together in debate TO JUDGE THEM AND EXECUTE JUSTICE. THIS EXPLAINS THE PHRASE: "YET YOU MAY RULE OVER HIM," WHICH INDICATES THAT MALCHUT REVEALS HER CONTROL THROUGH THE AGENCY OF THE ANGEL OF DEATH, BECAUSE HE IS THE ONE WHO PUNISHES THE TRANSGRESSORS. Rabbi Yehuda said: "Yet you may rule over him" through repentance. IF ONE REPENTS, THEN HE RULES OVER THE ANGEL OF DEATH AND THE EVIL INCLINATION.