75. THE VERSE: "Let the earth bring forth grass" (Beresheet 1:11) IS THE SECRET OF THE LOWER UNION, AS it is now revealing its powers in these waters that have been gathered in one place. THE MOCHIN ARE drawn down into it in a concealed and a hidden manner. And from within it come forth supernal and concealed SOULS and holy hosts. These are formed and drawn, using the edifices of Faith, by THE RIGHTEOUS, the men of Faith - NAMELY THE FEMALE WATERS - by worshipping their Master.
76. This is the secret of the verse: "Who causes the grass to grow for the cattle" (Tehilim 104:14). This is the living creature that crouches on a thousand mountains and for whom grass is grown every day. This grass refers to those angels who govern only for a specific time, BUT THEN MUST VANISH IMMEDIATELY; because they were created on the second day, THEIR DOMINION DRAWS UPON THE LEFT COLUMN THAT WAS CREATED ON THE SECOND DAY. IN THEIR DOMINION THEY WISH TO ANNUL THE RIGHT. They are destined to be food for this living creature, WHICH MEANS THAT NOTHING OF THEIR ILLUMINATION IS DRAWN DOWN TO THE LOWER BEINGS. ONLY THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE ENJOYS IT, AND THEN SHE BURNS AND ANNULS THEM WITH IT - as there is fire that consumes fire, WHICH IS THE DOMINION OF THE LEFT, CALLED 'FIRE.'
77. In the verse: "And plants for the service of man" (Ibid.), the word "plants" refers to wheels, holy living creatures and Cherubs. THE WHEELS (HEB. OFANIM) ARE THE ANGELS OF ASIYAH, THE HOLY LIVING CREATURES ARE THE ANGELS OF YETZIRAH AND THE CHERUBS ARE THE ANGELS OF BRIYAH. All of these are made ready and clothed BY THE CREATOR HIMSELF. However, they are further prepared when people worship their Master with sacrifices and prayer. This is what is meant by "the service of man." The plants were predestined and prepared for "the service of man" and will be further perfected by that service, as it should be.
78. When they are made ready by "the service of man," sustenance and food come from them to the world, as it is written: "That he may bring forth food out of the earth" (Idid.). This is WHAT IS MEANT: "herb yielding seed" (Beresheet 1:12), WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE MOCHIN. The grass (hay) does not yield any seed, but is intended to be consumed by the sacred fire OF THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, whereas the herb, WHICH YIELDS SEED, is intended for the improvement of the world.
79. All this is to "bring forth food out of the earth," because all the improvements given to people are only for the purpose of establishing this herb out of the earth, WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE. Thus, people's service to their Master is designed to supply sustenance and food from out of the earth to this world, so that people will be blessed from above.
80. THE VERSE: "And fruit tree yielding fruit" (Beresheet 1:11) ALLUDES TO TWO GRADES, one grade above another, WHICH REPRESENT male and female. THIS MEANS THAT THE FRUIT TREE IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN; "YIELDING FRUIT" ALLUDES TO YESOD OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS MALE. IT IS SAID TO BE "YIELDING FRUIT" BECAUSE ALL THE FRUIT THAT THE FEMALE YIELDS REACHES HER FROM THE MALE. Just as the "fruit tree," WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, reveals the potential power that it received from the "fruit tree yielding fruit," WHICH IS THE MALE, so it reveals HER OWN POTENTIAL AS WELL. HE ASKS: What is REVEALED FROM THE POTENTIAL OF THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE HERSELF? HE REPLIED, The Cherubs and pillars ARE REVEALED FROM HER OWN ASPECT. AND HE FURTHER ASKS: What are these pillars? AND HE REPLED, They are those that rise up in the smoke of the sacrifice and are become stronger because of the offering. They are called "columns of smoke." THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE VERSE: "WHO IS THIS COMING OUT OF THE WILDERNESS LIKE COLUMNS OF SMOKE" (SHIR HASHIRIM 3:6). SO THE CHERUBS ARE THE SECRET OF THE "HERB" THAT SHE RECEIVES FROM THE MALE AND THE "COLUMNS OF SMOKE" ARE THE "GRASS." THE CHERUBS AND PILLARS exist for "the service of men," but not the "grass," which is meant for food, as it is written: "Behold now animals (Heb. behemot), which I made with you; he eats grass like an ox" (Iyov 40:15).
81. "And fruit tree yielding fruit" ALLUDES TO the forms of the male and female, and "as for the likeness of their faces, they had the face of a man" (Yechezkel 1:10). THE "FRUIT TREE" IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN AND "YIELDING FRUIT" IS YESOD OF ZEIR ANPIN, THE MALE THAT PUTS THE FRUIT INSIDE HER. THE MALE AND FEMALE are not like the Cherubs, WHICH ARE HINTED AT IN THE PHRASE: "HERB YIELDING SEED." THE MALE AND FEMALE have large faces with beards, whereas the Cherubs have small faces like those of babies. The face of man contains all the images, including THE LION, THE OX AND THE EAGLE, since they have large faces. The engraved images are imprinted on this large face just as the engravings of the Holy Name are imprinted in the four directions of the world: East, West, North and South.
82. Michael made a mark on the South side. And all THREE OTHER faces gaze toward the face of a man - the face of a lion, the face of an ox and the face of an eagle. MICHAEL IS ONE OF THE FOUR ANGELS WHO SERVE THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN. THEREFORE, HE PREPARES THE PLACE FOR THE MATING, BECAUSE -- SINCE HE IS THE ANGEL OF CHESED-- HE SKETCHES THE IMPRINT TO THE SOUTH, WHICH IS TO THE RIGHT. Man is male and female, and he is not called man unless both are included. THIS MEANS THAT MALCHUT ON HER OWN, WHEN SHE IS NOT MATING WITH ZEIR ANPIN, IS NOT CALLED MAN; ONLY WHEN THEY ARE UNITED ARE THEY CALLED MAN. THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE VERSE: "MALE AND FEMALE HE CREATED THEM; AND BLESSED THEM, AND CALLED THEIR NAME MAN" (BERESHEET 5:2). SO ACCORDINGLY, THEY WERE TOGETHER CALLED MAN, BUT EACH ONE ALONE IS ONLY HALF A BODY AND CANNOT BE CALLED MAN. The figures of the Chariot of Elohim are formed according to His image, NAMELY FROM THE FACE OF A MAN, UNITED ON THE SOUTH SIDE, as it is written: "The Chariots of Elohim are twice ten thousand, thousands upon thousands (Heb. shin'an)" (Tehilim 68:18). THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE LOWER CHARIOT THAT IS CALLED THE CHARIOT OF ELOHIM.
83. The word shin'an consists of the letters Shin-Nun-Aleph-Nun. WRITTEN IN THE SCRIPTURAL VERSE, it includes all the images - ALL THE LIVING CREATURES, which include the ox (Heb. shor), the eagle (Heb. nesher) and the lion (Heb. aryeh). FOR THE INNITIALS OF THESE WORDS FORM THE SHIN-NUN-ALEPH OF SHIN'AN, and the final Nun IN THE WORD SHINA'N alludes to the face of a man THAT IS INCLUDED WITH THEM. THIS FINAL NUN IS THE SECRET OF the expansion of male and female that are united as one. Everyone IN THE WORLDS OF BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH, emerges from these LIVING CREATURES, which are the secret of Shin'an. From them, the forms OF BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH are BORN AND separated, each befitting its aspect.
84. These LIVING CREATURES are joined one to the other, so that each includes all the others. The ox, eagle, lion and man are directed by the secret of the four engraved names, WHICH ARE "A GREAT EL, A MIGHTY, AND A TERRIBLE" (DEVARIM 10:17), to which they ascend to behold them.