866. The third chamber is dark and somber, for there is no light in it whatsoever. It is darker than the first CHAMBERS. It is called 'Dumah', corresponding to the name OF THE EVIL INCLINATION foe. There are four openings to this chamber, one on this side, another on that side, and so on.
867. There is a chief in charge of the first opening, sustained by the anger in the world, and when Judgment is upon the world, this chief that dwells in that gate takes weapons and puts them at the entrance to the synagogue. He is called 'Sakafortaya', and is the stumbling of the world. Of this it is written, "The way of the wicked is like darkness: they know not at what they stumble" (Mishlei 4:19). When he is in power, and there is Judgment upon the world, he goes to see who walks alone in a public place, and if he sees him, he may cause him harm and weaken his fortune.
868. On the second opening there is another chief, ready to receive the verdicts, NAMELY, THE NOTES UPON WHICH THE VERDICTS ARE WRITTEN. This is Sangadiel, under whom there are complainants and accusers in power, ready to receive these verdicts. THIS CHIEF stands at the SECOND opening.
869. When he receives the verdict FROM THE CHIEFTAIN MALKIEL, OF THE FIRST OPENING OF THE THIRD CHAMBER OF HOLINESS, he stands at this opening, then descends into the dark gates below, to the one called 'grave', NAMELY, TO THE SECOND CHAMBER OF THE OTHER SIDE, and to the one called 'pit', WHICH IS THE FIRST CHAMBER OF THE OTHER SIDE, that are below. There are several thousands and tens of thousands of officers, whose duty it is to execute judgment in the world. Justice is concluded by verdict.
870. A chief named Angerayon is over the third opening. He is in charge over all illness and pains, trembling and the fire within the bones, NAMELY, WHICH DO NOT CAUSE DEATH, DRAWN FROM THE JUDGMENTS OF THE LEFT. Many thousands and tens of thousands of officers come out from him, in charge together with him over all the illnesses and pains, as we learned.
871. In the fourth opening there is a spirit born when the moon was in diminution. He is called 'Askara', in charge over the death of children. He comes before CHILDREN, laughs with them until eventually he kills them. He is seen before them in the guise of a woman, like the child's mother, suckles them, laughs at them, grabs them and kills them.
872. In the middle of this chamber stands a spirit called 'Agirison', in charge over those who died when they were between thirteen and twenty years of age. Their death COMES BY THE HAND OF THAT CHIEF, as we explained, by his joining the serpent we mentioned, which abides by him and follows him. For that reason the Angel of Death is called 'very good', as it is written, "and, behold, it was very good" (Beresheet 1:31), which we explained TO BE THE ANGEL OF DEATH.
873. From this place come and spread out two spirits called 'wrath' and 'fury', appointed over all those who are rebuked by someone who is occupied in the Torah, NAMELY, THAT HE WHO STUDIES THE TORAH SCOLDS THEM FOR NOT WALKING THE PATH OF TRUTH. They trust him, HIS GOODNESS, and are unaffected by that; also those who laugh and mock at the words of the Torah and of the words of the sages.
874. From wrath and fury come out some thousands and tens of thousands. They all come out and hover above people who study the Torah, or are occupied in the precepts, and walk in their ways, to make them sad instead of rejoicing IN THE TORAH AND THE PRECEPTS THEY ARE OCCUPIED WITH. Moses was afraid of these two when Yisrael sinned BY THE MAKING OF THE CALF, and he descended from the mountain, as it is written, "for I was afraid of the wrath and fury" (Devarim 9:19).
875. Under these, WRATH AND FURY, there is a spirit appointed over the evil tongued. For when men start to slander, the evil unholy spirit above, called 'Sachsicha', is bestirred, dwells upon this stirring of the evil tongue that men let loose, and causes, by that arousal of the evil tongue, death, sword, and killing in the world. Woe to those who awaken this Evil Side and do not guard their mouth and tongue, nor care for this. They do not know that awakening above depends upon a awakening below, either good or bad.