27. Rabbi Chiya said to Rabbi Elazar, I should like to discuss these days from Rosh Hashanah until the last day of Sukkot. Rabbi Elazar said, But we have already studied them, and the friends have made their comments about them. Rabbi Chiya said, Of course, but I heard something about them from the great and Holy Luminary, RABBI SHIMON. He said to him, Tell us. To which Rabbi Chiya replied, I still do not grasp it AND IT IS NOT AS CLEAR AS IT SHOULD BE. Rabbi Elazar said, Although the friends have already discussed this matter, and it is beautiful, the order of these days is the secret of wisdom, among the reapers in the field, NAMELY, AMONG THOSE SCHOLARS WHO HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED ALL THE CLARIFICATIONS OF MALCHUT, WHICH IS TERMED 'A FIELD.'
28. Come and see: The order of unifying all into one, how does that go? We have learned, He began, "Hashem has made bare His holy arm" (Yeshayah 52:10). This is one arm, WHICH IS THE LEFT COLUMN on which are dependent salvation, vengeance, and redemption. But why DID HASHEM MAKE BARE THIS HOLY ARM OF HIS? It was to raise up the Congregation of Yisrael, NAMELY, MALCHUT, from the dust and to welcome her with Him so as to unite as one. When that ARM is raised up toward her, there is much fear present in the world, until He rests that arm under her head to unite with her, as it is said: "His left hand is under my head..." (Shir Hashirim 2:6). And then judgment rests and He atones for sins.
29. Later the Right COLUMN comes to embrace her. Then rejoicing engulfs the world, and all countenances shine. Subsequently, she, MALCHUT, unites with the body, NAMELY, THE CENTRAL COLUMN, and then everything is considered one without schism, FOR THE CENTRAL COLUMN INCORPORATES THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT. Then everything is perfect and everything is joyous and they, ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT, certainly unite, which is not the case at other times.
30. Likewise is the order of those days, from Rosh Hashanah until the last day of Sukkot, is like this. On Rosh Hashanah, the left arm is awakened, NAMELY, THE LEFT COLUMN OF ZEIR ANPIN, to welcome the Queen. The whole world is then in fear of Judgment, and the whole world has to be in complete repentance before the Holy One, blessed be He. Later, on the ninth of the month, the Queen comes and the palace retinue, NAMELY, THE CHILDREN OF YISRAEL, make merry and immerse themselves in the river to purify themselves SO AS TO BE WORTHY OF the union of the Queen WITH ZEIR ANPIN, on the other day, NAMELY, THE TENTH OF THE MONTH, YOM KIPPUR (DAY OF ATONEMENT). For her union is accomplished by ZEIR ANPIN placing his left hand under her head, in accordance with the text, "His left hand is under my head."
31. Then, on the tenth day Yisrael fast for their sins and are forgiven. For Supernal Ima, NAMELY, BINAH, looks kindly on Malchut in the union, FOR ON YOM KIPPUR MALCHUT RISES AND COATS BINAH, and makes atonement for all of the retinue of the palace, NAMELY, YISRAEL, since the left OF ZEIR ANPIN welcomes her on this day, for the head of Malchut rests on the left.
32. On the first day of Sukkot, the Right COLUMN OF ZEIR ANPIN begins to move towards MALCHUT to embrace her. THIS IS THE HIDDEN MEANING OF THE VERSE, "AND HIS RIGHT HAND EMBRACES ME" (SHIR HASHIRIM 2:6). Then everyone rejoices and all countenances shine. There is joy in pouring pure water on the altar. People should be happy by rejoicing in many different ways. This is brought about by the right, for wherever the right side, NAMELY, CHASSADIM, rests, there has to be joy everywhere. Then there is joy with which to be happy.
33. Later, on the day of Shmini Atzeret, is Simchat Torah, as then the mating of the body NAMELY, THE CENTRAL COLUMN CALLED 'BODY' is taking place. This is the union of all parts, FOR IT INCLUDES THE MATING OF THE LEFT SIDE, OF ROSH HASHANAH AND YOM KIPPUR AS WELL AS THE UNION OF THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE HOLIDAY OF SUKKOT SINCE THE CENTRAL COLUMN INCORPORATES THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT. Thus all is one and this is overall perfection. And this day is definitely Yisrael's. Its portion belongs to them alone, for no other people has a part in it. THAT IS TO SAY, IT IS NOT LIKE THE FESTIVAL OF SUKKOT WHEN SEVENTY BULLS ARE SACRIFICED FOR THE SEVENTY NATIONS, BECAUSE THE NATIONS HAVE NO PART IN SHMINI ATZERET. Happy are Yisrael in this world and in the World to Come. About them it is written, "Because you are a holy people for Hashem your Elohim" (Devarim 14:2).