483. The Yud that Pinchas earned, WHERE HIS NAME IS WRITTEN OUT IN FULL WITH A YUD, was because he was zealous for the covenant, and thus merited the covenant, FOR THE YUD THAT WAS ADDED TO HIS NAME IS AN INDICATION OF THE COVENANT. There are two Yuds, upper Yud from Yud Hei Vav Hei, with which He made the covenant with Abraham between the Yud (ten) fingers of the hands, and small Yud which is from Adonai, with which He made the covenant between the Yud toes of the feet. And it is a holy letter that is adorned as a the supernal imprint.
484. This SMALL YUD is always ever recorded, THAT IS TO SAY THAT IT IS MARKED UPON ALL THE GRADES OF MOCHIN, FOR WITHOUT IT NO GRADE IS REVEALED. It is the sign of Shabbat, the sign of the Tefilin, the sign of the festival days, the sign of Shadai that is recorded "on the doorposts of your house and on your gates" (Devarim 6:9), WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE YUD OF SHADAI (SHIN DALET YUD), so that Yisrael will be impressed with it on their straps, NAMELY ON THE KNOT OF THE HAND TEFILIN WHICH HAS THE SHAPE OF THE LETTER YUD, and on their covenant, NAMELY THE CIRCUMCISED MEMBER, SO THEY WILL BE MARKED THROUGH IT as the children of Malchut, the household of the palace of the Holy King, WHICH IS MALCHUT CALLED 'PALACE'. THIS MEANS THAT THEY SHOULD RECEIVE THE MOCHIN OF LOWER CHOCHMAH, WHICH ARE DRAWN DOWN FROM MALCHUT, AND THIS THEY MERIT BY KEEPING GUARD OVER THE COVENANT and BY ENGAGING IN the Torah. They are marked with the upper Yud OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, NAMELY THEY MERIT UPPER CHOCHMAH, for they are the children of the Supernal King. It is as we have taught, and so it is said: "You are the children of Hashem your Elohim" (Devarim 14:1) IN THE SECRET OF THEIR RECEIVING FROM YUD OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, WHICH IS FROM ZEIR ANPIN, WHO IS CALLED YUD HEI VAV HEI.
485. And the letter Yud of Shadai (Shin Dalet Yud) THAT IS THE SIGN OF THE COVENANT is a ring halter that is lowered onto the neck of the demon, which is the Evil Inclination, FOR THE LETTERS OF SHADAI MAKE TWO WORDS SHED (LIT. 'A DEMON' - SHIN DALET), AND YUD, to prevent it from harming people. And this is as David said: "Deliver my life from the sword; my only one from the power of the dog" (Tehilim 22:21), FOR THE EVIL INCLINATION is a serpent, a dog and a lion, about which David said, "He lies in wait secretly like a lion in his den" (Tehilim 10:9), or, in the words of the prophet, a bear, as it is written: "He is to me a bear lying in wait, and like a lion in secret places" (Eichah 3:10). And IT is likened to all the animals, namely is likened to all the beasts of prey, and the likeness is drawn for each person according to his sins. THAT IS, ACCORDING TO A PERSON'S SINS SO IS THE EVIL INCLINATION CALLED 'LION' OR 'BEAR' AND SO ON but this has already been clarified.
486. And this, THE EVIL INCLINATION, is a dog, a serpent and a braying donkey, onto which the soul is mounted, and, as soon as it is known that its rider is wicked it is written about it: "his rider shall fall backward" (Beresheet 49:17), and the secret of the matter is: "If any (falling) man fall from it" (Devarim 22:8). And for this reason, Job said: "I am not inferior to you" (Iyov 12:3). (The literal rendering of this verse is: 'I do not fall from you'). But the righteous person who rides on it binds it with the knot of the Tefilin straps, the sign of the Tefilin, which is the letter Yud of Shadai, being the ring, the halter on its neck, while the Shin of the Tefilin is a chain on its neck.
487. And Elijah rode on it when he ascended into heaven, as it is written: "And Elijah went up by a storm of wind into heaven" (II Melachim 2:11). And through it: "Then Hashem answered Job out of the storm wind" (Iyov 38:1). And this is why the sages of the Mishnah taught: Who is mighty? He that subdues his inclination. And there are those for whom it becomes a donkey (Heb. chamor) that causes no trouble for its rider, and they are the ones who make efforts at exposition by inference from minor to major (Heb. chomer). And this is why it is written about Abraham: "and saddled his donkey" (Beresheet 22:3). And this is also why it is said about Messiah: "humble and riding upon an donkey" (Zecharyah 9:9).
488. And for this reason, all demons and spirits are fearful of the Yud of Shadai (Shin Dalet Yud), NAMELY THE SIGN OF THE COVENANT, which is the noose ring from the chain, and immediately on seeing THE YUD OF SHADAI on the doorposts of the gates they flee, for about THE YUD OF SHADAI it is said: "to bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron" (Tehilim 149:8). And even more DO THEY FLEE AWAY when they see it on the Tefilin that are on the arms, NAMELY IN THE KNOT OF THE HAND TEFILIN. And of those who are marked with this sign of the covenant on their own flesh, ABOUT THEM IT IS SAID: "and the stranger that comes near shall be put to death" (Bemidbar 1:51); NAMELY THE EVIL INCLINATION THAT IS CALLED 'STRANGER' SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH, for stranger is none other than the Evil Inclination, that is similar to all the beasts and birds of prey, AS ABOVE.
489. And for this reason, "Recall now, who that was innocent ever perished?" (Iyov 4:7). This refers to Pinchas, who was zealous for the covenant, SINCE THE LETTERS OF THE WORD INNOCENT (Heb. NAKI), WHEN REARRANGED, SPELL KANI (ARAMAIC FOR ZEALOUS). And it is recorded upon him that he is the son of the King and the Queen, for when he was zealous in thought, he earned the letter Yud of Yud Hei Vav Hei, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF SUPERNAL CHOCHMAH, AND HE BECAME THE SON OF THE KING. And when he was zealous in deed, he earned the letter Yud of Adonai, WHICH IS LOWER CHOCHMAH, AND BECAME THE SON OF THE QUEEN. And this is the meaning of Chochmah at the beginning OF THE COMBINATION YUD-ALEPH-HEI-DALET-VAV-NUN-HEI-YUD, WHICH IS YUD OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, and Chochmah at the end OF THE COMBINATION YUD-ALEPH-HEI-DALET-VAV-NUN-HEI-YUD, WHICH IS THE YUD OF ADONAI. And since Adam was marked with THESE two YUDS, the sages taught about him that he is the first in thought but the last in deed. FOR YUD HEI VAV HEI IS THE SECRET OF THOUGHT AND ADONAI IS THE SECRET OF DEED. And while he was still saying these things, he disappeared from their sight. Rabbi Elazar said, Happy is our portion that we have been privileged to hear these matters from those of the World to Come.
490. And in the first section, HE SAID, "Wherefore, say" (Bemidbar 25:12), NAMELY THIS BEING WHAT THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, SAID TO MOSES: 'An oath upon you: Whether you want TO SAY TO HIM "BEHOLD, I GIVE TO HIM MY COVENANT OF PEACE" (IBID.), or whether you don't want TO SAY IT TO HIM, say it.' THIS WAS WHAT Rabbi Pinchas ben Yair SAID, FOR 'WHEREFORE' IS USED IN OATHS. That shadow CAME AND smote Rabbi Aba in the eyes AND SAID TO HIM, Did the Holy One, blessed be He, really not know if Moses wanted to say this or not? DID HE REALLY HAVE TO SAY IT TO HIM WITH SOME DOUBT: EITHER WAY...SAY! He said to him, Even if it is apparent to the Holy One, blessed be He, who says that it is obvious to others? Therefore HE SAID TO HIM: "Wherefore, say" VIS A VIS THE OTHERS.