10. The Holy Luminary, THAT IS RABBI SHIMON, said TO THE FAITHFUL SHEPHERD: Surely Yisrael are dry wood in the Torah, because they are connected to a fire of a layperson. They do not deserve to have a miracle performed for them. As soon as you descend on them with Torah, for your sake the Tree of Life descends on them, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, and the commandment, WHICH IS MALCHUT, the candle of Hashem, which holds on to them and so they live. But the heathen nations will be burned by that candle. This is what the prophet said: "Therefore fear you not, O My servant Jacob...neither be dismayed, Yisrael...for I am with you" (Yirmeyah 30:10-11).
11. "One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity...at the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses shall the matter be established" (Devarim 19:15). It is a precept to testify at court so his neighbor shall not lose money, because HE DOES NOT TESTIFY if he knows of a testimony in his favor. A testimony requires no less than two witnesses. That is the meaning of: "at the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses shall the matter be established," but not at the mouth of one witness. That is why the sages of Mishnah have explained, who bears testimony on a person - the walls of his house do. Moreover, the members of his household testify about him. What are the walls of his house? They are the walls of his heart, AS IT IS WRITTEN: "Then Hezekiah turned his face towards the wall" (Yeshayah 38:2). The sages of the Mishnah have explained this to teach us that Hezekiah was praying from the walls of his heart.
12. The members of his household are his 248 body parts, SINCE THE BODY IS CALLED HOUSE. This is how the sages of the Mishnah have explained that a wicked person's sins are engraved on his bones. Similarly, the merits of a righteous man are engraved on his bones. Therefore, David said: "all my bones shall say" (Tehilim 35:10). That is why we were taught: who testifies on a person - the beams of his house... THE BEAMS OF HIS HOUSE are the bones OF THE SKULL that are constructed over the brain that is water. About this, it is written: "Who lays the beams of His chambers in the waters" (Tehilim 104:3).
13. Why are THE INIQUITIES ENGRAVED in the bones rather than in the flesh, the tendons and the skin? That is because the bones are white, and a black script is not recognizable except over white. This is similar to the Torah, which is white on the inside, THAT IS, THE PARCHMENT, and black on the outside, MEANING THE INK. Black and white are darkness and light. There is darkness that is blue, WHICH IS MALCHUT, about which it is written: "even the darkness is not dark for You" (Tehilim 139:12). Blue is black and is a female to the white, THAT IS ZEIR ANPIN, SINCE MALCHUT HAS NO LIGHT OF HER OWN EXCEPT WHAT SHE RECEIVES FROM ZEIR ANPIN. Furthermore, the body will be reinstated with its bones. Therefore, the merits and demerits are engraved on its bones and, if it is deserving, the body will be reinstated with its bones. If it is not DESERVING, it will not be reinstated and will not have a resurrection from the dead.
14. Furthermore, there are two witnesses regarding the person: a seeing eye and a hearing ear. The court counts and judges his iniquities. Furthermore, even the sun and moon testify about the person, as we explained: "Blow a Shofar at the new moon, at the full moon (lit. 'on the covering') on our feast day" (Tehilim 81:4). What is the meaning of "covering"? That is the day when the moon, WHICH IS MALCHUT, is covered. Why is it covered? That is because when Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) arrives, Samael will approach to demand punishment against her children, MEANING YISRAEL, WHO ARE THE CHILDREN OF MALCHUT, before the Holy One, blessed be He. And He will tell him to bring forth the witnesses, so he will bring with him the sun. As he is about to bring the moon, she is covered. At which place is she covered? HE RESPONDS: She goes up to that place regarding which it is said: 'Do not investigate into what is hidden from you,' in order to reconcile the Holy One, blessed be He, with her children.
15. That is what the scripture says, "Blow a Shofar at the new moon, at the covering on our feast day" (Ibid.), meaning the area to which the Shechinah ascended. Regarding this, it is said, 'Do not investigate into what is hidden from you.' The iniquities that are in concealment need to be judged there between himself and his Creator. About the iniquities he committed in public, it is written: "He that covers up his sins shall not prosper" (Mishlei 28:13). The Shechinah from the side of Keter is the hidden world and the sages of the Mishnah have explained that a person needs to connect HIS INIQUITIES to that place, WHICH IS KETER. At that time, a period of Mercy arrives and Judgment passes away. Therefore, he recommends to connect ONE'S INIQUITIES TO KETER, to free him from the testimony OF MALCHUT. However, the wicked is not acquitted.
16. Furthermore, the Holy One, blessed be He, and His Shechinah give CONSTANT testimony about the person AND NOT ONLY ON ROSH HASHANAH, AS MENTIONED. This is what is written: "I call heaven and earth to witnesses against you this day" (Devarim 4:26). Heaven is the one about which is written: "hear You (in) heaven" (I Melachim 8:32), THAT IS ZEIR ANPIN. Earth is the one about which is written, "and the earth is My footstool" (Yeshayah 66:1), THAT IS MALCHUT. In addition, the two witnesses are the Central Column, THAT IS ZEIR ANPIN, and the Righteous IS YESOD. They are Ayin and Dalet of Sh'ma and Echad (lit. 'one'), NAMELY AYIN FROM THE SPELLING OF SH'MA, AND DALET FROM ECHAD. THIS IS THE WITNESS (HEB. ED, AYIN-DALET) FROM THE ASPECT OF ZEIR ANPIN; there is another witness from, 'blessed is the Name of the glory of His Kingdom forever and ever (Heb. va'ed),' NAMELY ED FROM THE WORD 'VA'ED,' WHICH IS A WITNESS FROM THE ASPECT OF YESOD IN ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS INCLUDED IN MALCHUT.
17. "At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death" (Devarim 17:6). That is Samael, who is essentially dead: "they carried it between two on a pole" (Bemidbar 13:23). "But at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death" (Devarim 17:6), meaning he shall have no portion in the one El.
18. "If a false witness rise up against any man...and the judges shall make diligent inquiry...then shall you do to him as he had thought to have done to his brother" (Devarim 19:16-19). This precept is to examine the witnesses seven times before sentencing one to death. The seven examinations are seven that correspond to: "those seven...the eyes of Hashem, they rove to and fro through the whole earth" (Zecharyah 4:10). THEY ARE THE SECRET OF CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT. Regarding them, it is said: "and will chastise you seven times for your sins" (Vayikra 26:28).