1. "This is the Torah of the burnt offering" (Vayikra 6:2). Rabbi Shimon opened the discussion saying, "Your righteousness is like the great mountains; Your judgments are a great deep" (Tehilim 36:7). We have explained and learned this verse. Come and behold: the burnt offering (lit. 'rising') causes the Congregation of Yisrael to rise and be attached above, and cleaves to the World to Come, BINAH, so that everything will be one, connected together in joy. Since it rises higher and higher up TO BINAH, it is written: "This is the Torah," which is the secret of Male and Female together, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT, which are the Written Torah and the Oral Torah, rising with love TO BINAH. "THIS (HEB. ZOT)" IS THE SECRET OF MALCHUT, THE ORAL TORAH, AND THE TORAH IS THE SECRET OF ZEIR ANPIN, THE WRITTEN TORAH.
2. We explained in relation to the verse: "His left hand is under my head," (Shir Hashirim 2:6) THAT MALCHUT RECEIVES FROM THE LEFT COLUMN OF ZEIR ANPIN. When the North Side stirs, WHICH IS GVURAH OF ZEIR ANPIN, THE LEFT COLUMN, MALCHUT then rises with love to be adorned with the right OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS CHESED. She, MALCHUT, is attached to the middle, NAMELY THE CENTRAL COLUMN OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS TIFERET OF ZEIR ANPIN, and everything shines from within the secret of the Holy of Holies, BINAH. This happens through the secret of man by the wish of the priests, WHO ARE THE RIGHT COLUMN, the prayers OF THE CHILDREN OF YISRAEL, WHO ARE THE CENTRAL COLUMN, and the singing OF THE LEVITES, WHO ARE THE LEFT COLUMN.
3. We have explained that the burnt offering is the Holy of Holies, according to the secret of the Supernal Spirit, BINAH. For three spirits are connected TO THE BURNT OFFERING: 1) The lower spirit called the Holy Spirit, MALCHUT; 2) the Middle Spirit called 'the spirit of Chochmah and Binah,' WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, THE SON OF CHOCHMAH AND BINAH. It is also called a 'low spirit,' BEING LOWER IN RELATION TO BINAH, yet this spirit comes out of the Shofar that includes fire and water; and 3) the secretly concealed Upper Spirit, BINAH, in which all the Holy Spirits are sustained, FROM WHICH all faces shine. The burnt offering therefore becomes a real spirit again.
4. Then, with the secret of the cattle OFFERED, THE EXTERNAL FORCES feed and content themselves, so that another spirit will be joined TO HOLINESS, a spirit within them, one of Defilement, through the tallow and fat sacrificed, as we learned. The burnt offering is therefore the Holy of Holies, and the purpose of all other sacrifices is to produce peace throughout the whole world from different factions and from the antagonists IN THE WORLD - to remove them and to radiate from within a desire to be scented. They are called 'sacrifices (lit Holies) of a minor grade,' since they are not adorned high above in the Holy of Holies, NAMELY BINAH. They are therefore sacrifices of a minor grade and may be slaughtered everywhere, as explained. A burnt offering, which is the secret of the Holy of Holies, is not like the other sacrifices, because all that is connected to it is Holy.
5. Come and behold: "And the priest shall put on his linen (Heb. bad) garment" (Vayikra 6:3). This is a garment especially designed for Holiness. The Hebrew word 'bad' IS AS 'badad' (lit. 'apart'), meaning set apart for Holiness. It is also written: "These are holy garments; therefore shall he bathe his flesh in water, and so put them on" (Vayikra 16:4). Why is it holy? The secret thereof is that the burnt offering is the Holy of Holies, since everything rises to be adorned by the Holy of Holies, NAMELY BINAH, in one bond. The Spirit of Defilement that defiles everything then turns and passes away and has no power, nor does it come near the Temple. It is removed from all the aspects of Holiness, and everything remains holy in Holiness alone!
6. Rabbi Shimon said: We learned that it is written, "Hashem, You preserve man and beast" (Tehilim 36:7). Thus, the secret of man rises from the aspect of man THROUGH DESIRE AND PRAYER, and the beast from that aspect of the cattle WHICH IS SACRIFICED ON THE ALTAR. It is therefore written: "If any man of you bring an offering..." (Vayikra 1:2). A man's sacrifice is indeed IN DESIRE AND PRAYER; to tie a knot above IN THE SECRET OF MAN. Then comes that of the cattle. Everything is in the verse: "man and beast." This is the secret reason why both man and cattle are needed for a sacrifice, as it says. Come and behold: when the Holy One, blessed be He, created the world, He did it thus: "man and beast."
7. You may say that yet, it is written: "And let birds fly above the earth" (Beresheet 1:20), from which sacrifices are offered and even burnt offerings, as written: "And if the burnt sacrifice for his sacrifice to Hashem be of birds" (Vayikra 1:14). THUS, "CATTLE" IS NOT ACCURATE, AS YOU EXPLAINED. HE ANSWERS: Come and behold. Of all the birds, only turtledoves and young pigeons are offered. There is a secret to it, which is that what is fit in the one is unfit in the other. THE COLOR RED IS SUITABLE FOR TURTLEDOVES, BUT NOT FOR YOUNG PIGEONS. THE REASON IS THAT THE YOUNG PIGEON is the right and THE TURTLEDOVE is the left. HENCE, RED IS SUITABLE FOR IT, WHICH ALLUDES TO THE LEFT COLUMN, and all is one.
8. "And let birds fly above the earth" (Beresheet 1:20). We explained this to be the secret of the Chariot, AS THEY ARE THE ANGELS MICHAEL AND GABRIEL, WHO ARE CALLED 'BIRDS.' The Spirit of Holiness, WHICH IS MALCHUT, arises through them TO MATE WITH ZEIR ANPIN. They are two, one on the right, the other on the left. "Bird" is on the right, which is Michael, and "fly" is to the left, which is Gabriel. Thus, there is one to the right and one to the left.
9. This is why these two are sacrificed, TURTLEDOVES AND YOUNG PIGEONS, THE SECRET OF MICHAEL AND GABRIEL, in order to raise the Holy Spirit, MALCHUT, TO ZEIR ANPIN. The left OF ZEIR ANPIN adorns and arms below the left side OF MALCHUT, and the right does so to the right, so that a woman joins her husband, NAMELY, MALCHUT JOINS ZEIR ANPIN, to become one. Everything ascends to be attached together above and below. The Holy One, blessed be He, rises, and He alone is exalted.
10. In ancient books, IT IS SAID THAT the poor WHO SACRIFICE TURTLEDOVES AND YOUNG PIGEONS give no portion to sustain THE WORLDS, but rather to bring unity above. Yet everything above and below is properly attached to its own side, as we already explained.