82. "And Joseph dreamed a dream" (Beresheet 37:5). Rabbi Chiya opened the discussion with the verse, "And he said, 'Hear now My words, If there be a prophet among you, I, Hashem, make Myself known to him in a vision, and speak to him in a dream'" (Bemidbar 12:6). Come and behold, how many grades of prophecy the Holy One, blessed be He, formed. They stand upon each other, one grade superior to another, higher than the other. They all nourish each other according to their ability, some from the right and some from the left, as is proper.
83. Come and behold, the prophets in the world are all nourished from one aspect, from two known grades, NETZACH AND HOD, which are seen within the mirror (Heb. mar'ah) that has no reflection, WHICH IS THE NUKVA. As it is written, "I, Hashem, make Myself known to him in a vision (Heb. mar'eh)" (Bemidbar 12:6). This is the mirror that reflects all the colors, NAMELY WHITE, RED, AND GREEN, WHICH REPRESENT THE THREE COLUMNS OF ZEIR ANPIN; it is known as the 'dull mirror.' The phrase, "And speak to him in a dream" (Ibid.), refers to the sixtieth part of prophecy. As has been explained, it is Gabriel's grade, the sixth grade BENEATH the grade of prophecy, who supervises dreams.
84. Come and behold, every well-formed dream proceeds from that grade OF THE ANGEL GABRIEL. BECAUSE IT IS FROM AN ANGEL, every dream includes some lies. Therefore, parts of dreams are true and parts are false; no dream is without both.
85. Because a dream has both TRUE AND FALSE ELEMENTS, all the dreams in the world follow verbal interpretations, as was explained in relation to the verse, "And it came to pass, as he interpreted to us, so it was" (Beresheet 41:13); FOR IT COMES TO PASS ACCORDING TO ITS OWN INTERPRETATION. What is the reason? A dream contains truth and lies; hence, the words of interpretation prevail over everything, IN THAT THEY DETERMINE WHETHER THE TRUE OR THE FALSE PART SHALL PREVAIL. A dream therefore needs a favorable interpretation. Rabbi Yehuda said that because a dream is of a lower grade (THAT OF THE ANGEL GABRIEL), and speech (THE SECRET OF THE NUKVA) has power OVER THE ANGEL, dreams follow their own interpretations - WHICH COME FROM THE ASPECT OF SPEECH AND PROCEED FROM THE NUKVA, CALLED 'SPEECH,' RULING OVER THE ANGEL GABRIEL.'
86. He opened with the verse, "In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls upon men, in slumbering upon the bed, then He opens the ears of men, and with discipline seals their instruction" (Iyov 33:15-16). Come and behold, when man lies in his bed, he should first acknowledge the Kingdom of Heaven over him, then utter a verse of mercy. The friends explained that when a man sleeps in his bed, his soul leaves him to soar above, each soul according to its own way.
87. When people fall asleep in their beds, the soul departs. "In slumbering upon the bed, then He opens the ears of men." Thus, the Holy One, blessed be He, reveals to the soul through the grade in charge of dreams, NAMELY GABRIEL, what will happen in the world in the future, or that which corresponds to his innermost thoughts, THAT IS, TRUTH, LIES, OR BOTH. Thus, through admonition, a man receives knowledge of things to come. FOR THIS REASON, HE IS TOLD OF FUTURE EVENTS.
88. A man is not given this knowledge while the body is strong. The angel informs the soul, and the soul informs the man. The dream comes TO THE SOULS from above, when the souls depart from the body and ascend, each according to its merit.
89. How many grades are in the secret of the dream, in the secret of wisdom? Come and behold, a dream is one grade, a vision is another, and a prophecy a third. All these grades are in ascending order; THE DREAM IS BENEATH VISION, AND VISION IS BENEATH PROPHECY.
90. "And Joseph dreamed a dream, and told it to his brethren, and they hated him yet the more" (Beresheet 37:5). From this, we learn that a man should tell his dream only to someone who loves him. If the listener does not LOVE HIM, he shall bring evil upon him; for if the dream changes, he is the reason that THE TRUE MEANING OF THE DREAM is not fulfilled, BECAUSE OF HIS INCORRECT INTERPRETATION.
91. Come and behold, Joseph told his dream to his brothers WHO DID NOT LOVE HIM, and so fulfillment of the dream was delayed 22 years. Rabbi Yosi asks, How do we know THAT HATRED PREVENTED THE DREAM FROM BEING CARRIED OUT? From the words, "and they hated him yet the more" (Beresheet 37:8). This hatred caused accusations to be brought against him, AND THE DREAM WAS DELAYED FOR 22 YEARS.