155. We learned that ten names were constructed and came from this Yud. The Yud is the tenth letter IN THE ALPHABET. The Yud immersed them all in the holy river, BINAH, which became pregnant with them. All the ten names are concealed within one SUPERNAL NAME, all concealed within the Yud. The Yud contains them and the Yud issues them. It is the father of all, father of the fathers - NAMELY, CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET.
156. From THE YUD come out Vav-Dalet, WITH WHICH IT IS FULLY SPELLED. This is alluded to by their numerical value, which is ten LIKE THE YUD. The letters of Yud include Vav Dalet, which are the perfection of everything. Vav Dalet are male and female, ZEIR ANPIN TYPIFYING VAV AND MALCHUT PERSONIFYING DALET, WHICH ARE MALE AND FEMALE OF CHOCHMAH. They are called Du (spelled Dalet Vav), which means two. Therefore, man is created with two faces. These faces were male and female like it is above. THEY ARE READ AS Vav Dalet from above downward, STARTING WITH VAV, INFERRING ZEIR ANPIN, FOLLOWED BY DALET, IMPLYING MALCHUT. THEY ARE READ AS Dalet Vav from below upward, WHEREBY MALCHUT IS FIRST AND THEN ZEIR ANPIN. It all amounts to the same thing. The thirteen attributes of Mercy depend on the Yud, NAMELY ON THE UPPER TIP OF THE YUD, WHICH IS KETER, IN WHICH ARE THE THIRTEEN ATTRIBUTES OF MERCY. The Yud therefore includes Vav Dalet AS AN INDICATION OF THE MALE AND FEMALE INSIDE IT, FROM WHICH YISRAEL-SABA AND TEVUNAH, THE SECRET OF BINAH, WERE MADE. THEY ARE TURNED AGAIN TO BE CHOCHMAH, WHENCE ALL MOCHIN EMERGE, THE PERFECTION OF EVERYTHING, THE SECRET OF THE FULL SPELLING WITH VAV DALET OF THE SAME NUMERICAL VALUE AS YUD, as we have learned and established.
157. Come and see, the ten names correspond to the ten letters, NAMELY, TO THE YUD, THE TENTH LETTER IN THE ALPHABET. IT THEREFORE CONSISTS OF TEN LETTERS. In his book, Rav Hamnuna Saba said that there are eight NAMES FROM BINAH DOWNWARDS, and the two grades, KETER AND CHOCHMAH, correspond to two firmaments. THAT IS, THEY ARE HIDDEN AND UNNAMED, BECAUSE A NAME MEANS REVELATION, AND WHAT IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE CANNOT BE KNOWN BY NAME. THE NUMBER OF names changes into ten WHEN COUNTING FROM KETER, nine WHEN COUNTING FROM CHOCHMAH, eight WHEN COUNTING FROM BINAH and seven WHEN STARTING FROM CHESED.
158. HE STARTS COUNTING FROM CHOCHMAH, SAYING the first NAME is Yah (Yud-Hei), WHICH IS CHOCHMAH, since Yud includes Hei within it. NAMELY, THE YUD FULLY SPELLED INCLUDES VAV DALET, WHICH FORM THE SHAPE OF HEI, and Hei OF YUD HEI VAV HEI comes out of Yud. IT IS FORMED OF VAV DALET, WITH WHICH YUD IS FULLY SPELLED. IT CAME OUT OF YUD, THE SECRET OF CHOCHMAH, AND BECAME BINAH. THUS THE TWO LETTERS YUD HEI ARE INCLUDED WITHIN YUD, WHICH IS CHOCHMAH. Chochmah is therefore called Yah.
159. The second NAME is Yud Hei Vav Hei called Elohim, NAMELY YUD HEI VAV HEI WITH THE VOWELING OF ELOHIM, WHICH IS BINAH. For that river, BINAH, is of Mercy. But since Judgments rouse from it DUE TO THE RISING OF MALCHUT TO BINAH, NOT FROM ITSELF, ITS NAME IS THEREFORE spelled with the letters of Mercy, YUD HEI VAV HEI, with the voweling of Elohim; NAMELY, WITH THE VOWELS E, O, I. But it is not SPELLED WITH THE LETTERS OF Elohim, which represent Judgment.
160. The third NAME is El. It is greatness, NAMELY CHESED. It is called the great El. The fourth NAME is Elohim, from which Judgments awaken. It is severe Judgment, NAMELY THE SFIRAH OF GVURAH. The fifth NAME is Yud Hei Vav Hei that includes absolute Faith. It is mercy perfected, THE SFIRAH OF Tiferet. The sixth and seventh NAMES OF NETZACH AND HOD are called Tzva'ot.
161. The eighth NAME is living El, as written, "For there Hashem has commanded the blessing, even life..." (Tehilim 133:3). This is the Righteous, NAMELY YESOD, from whom all life comes. It is called Yud Hei Vav Hei, as written, "Hashem (Yud Hei Vav Hei) tries the righteous" (Tehilim 11:5). It is the small Vav of the Holy Name, and therefore the fully spelled Vav OF THE HOLY NAME COMPRISES two Vavs, THE FIRST VAV BEING TIFERET AND THE SECOND VAV YESOD.
162. The ninth NAME is Adonai. It is the holy Malchut from which Judgments come into the world. It is the last crown, NAMELY THE LAST SFIRAH, of all names. The name Eheyeh is inclusive, concealed in the first SFIRAH, supernal Keter, beginning of all beginnings. Its name is concealed and is not revealed, FOR EHEYEH MEANS I WILL BE REVEALED, BUT NOW I AM NOT YET REVEALED, as has been explained. In the book of Agadah, the ten names are spelled differently, but I have not learned it that way.
163. Rabbi Aba opened the discussion with the verse: "Awake, north wind; and come, you south; blow on my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat its choicest fruits" (Shir Hashirim 4:16). "Awake, north wind:" These are burnt offerings ritually slaughtered on the north (Heb. tzafon) side of the altar, because they are DUE TO thoughts hidden (Heb. tzefunim) in the heart and in a place of Judgment, AS THE NORTH SIDE IS LEFT AND JUDGMENT. This is because thoughts come at night, a time of Judgment. The north wind blows at midnight when people wake from their sleep, and David's harp, THE SECRET OF MALCHUT PLAYING TO THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, plays on its own. People's thoughts then awaken.
164. "And come, you south:" These are peace offerings that are slaughtered on the south side of the altar - THE SIDE OF CHESED, RIGHT - because they bring peace to everyone, peace to the upper and lower beings, AS PEACE OFFERINGS (HEB. SHLAMIM) BRINGS PEACE (HEB. SHALOM) AND PERFECTION (HEB. SHLEMUT). They are the perfection of the directions of the world, overall perfection from the aspect of Faith, MALCHUT. Since peace offerings are overall peace, the owners eat of them and enjoy them, for it gives one peace and everyone is on the same level. Sin offerings and guilt offerings are eaten by the priests alone, NOT BY THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT THEM, since it is for the priests to atone for them and to commute their sins. Of all offerings, the peace offerings are the most beloved by the Holy One, blessed be He, because they bring peace to the upper and lower beings.