313. The spirit of unholiness, which forever dwells in the desert, then found a place in which to strengthen. And Yisrael, though purified from the first defilement, thrown BY THE SERPENT upon the world, bringing death to all, from the time they stood upon Mount Sinai. Meaning? Now THE SIN OF THE CALF caused them to be defiled as before, and brought death upon them AGAIN and upon the whole world, and upon their generations after them. This is the secret meaning of the verse, "I had said, 'You are angels...' Nevertheless, you shall die like men" (Tehilim 82:6-7). Aaron therefore was purified again in the secret of divine Faith for seven holy days, THE CONSECRATED DAYS, and then purified by a calf FOR A SIN OFFERING.
314. Come and see: Aaron had to be purified more, because had it not been for him, the calf would not have been made. Why? Because Aaron is the right, and the strength of the sun. Gold is from the sun, FOR THE SUN, WHICH IS TIFERET, IS COMPRISED OF RIGHT AND LEFT. HENCE GOLD COMES FROM THE LEFT, BUT THE STRENGTH AND RULING OF THE SUN IS RIGHT. The spirit of unholiness descended to be included IN THE GOLD, THAT MADE THE CALF, and so were the children of Yisrael defiled and so was he, AARON, until they became purified.
315. Why was he defiled? HE ANSWERS: Because of the golden calf, which is of the left side. The bull is of the left side, whence the calf emerged. THERE ARE FOUR ASPECTS TO THE LEFT: A BULL, A COW, A CALF, AND A HEIFER, WHICH ARE CHOCHMAH AND BINAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT OF THE LEFT. It is of the left, as it is written, "And they four had the face of an ox on the left side" (Yechezkel 1:10). And in Aaron, who is right, the left was included, whence it emerged. Therefore, he offered AS A SIN OFFERING a calf, as the one he made.
316. That is why the spirit of defilement became stronger and ruled AGAIN over the world as before. For when the children of Yisrael committed the sin OF THE CALF, they drew upon themselves the Evil Inclination as before. And when the children of Yisrael became purified, and wanted to purge themselves, they had to offer a goat, being a part of the Evil Inclination, the said spirit of defilement.
317. It is written, "Thus they exchanged their glory for the likeness of an ox that eats grass" (Tehilim 106:20). "The likeness of an ox" is a calf. An ox is of the left side, and Aaron is of the right. The left was included in it, strengthened by it and came out of it. Come and see: "they exchanged their glory," referring to the Shechinah that went before them, for a place of defilement, another El. Therefore, defilement does not pass from the world until the time the Holy One, blessed be He will remove it thence. This is the meaning of, "and I will cause the unclean spirit to pass out of the earth" (Zecharyah 13:2), as explained.
318. It is written, "and made it a molten calf" (Shemot 32:4), and "I threw it into the fire, and there came out this calf" (Ibid. 24), indicating that he did not make it, BUT IT WAS MADE BY ANOTHER. What does it mean, then, "and made it"? HE ANSWERS: Assuredly it is as we stated, that if it were not for Aaron, the spirit of defilement was not strong enough to become a part of the gold. But every work needs to be done, AND THIS ONE WAS DONE BY SORCERERS.
320. We know this from Bilaam who was suitable for sorcery, as it is written, "the speech of the man, whose eye is open (Heb. satum)" (Bemidbar 24:3). An open eye (Heb. satum; lit. 'covered') and a closed eye (Heb. satum) are the same, for he had one of his eyes always closed and was looking askance in the other. HE WAS THEREFORE SUITABLE FOR PRACTICING THE ART OF SORCERY. It is written, "and shall send him away by the hand of an appointed man" (Vayikra 16:22), MEANING THAT THE MAN is fit TO DO THIS ERRAND, in that he would not look straight before him. NAMELY, HE TOO SHOULD BE DEFORMED, BECAUSE THE OTHER SIDE CLINGS TO DEFORMITY AND WANT. But whoever serves the Holy Spirit, it is said, "For whatsoever he be that has a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man nor a lame" (Vayikra 21:18).
321. In here, THE SIN OF THE GOLDEN CALF, everything was ready to give way to the spirit of defilement, so it may rule, for he found a desert completely wasted, as it is said: "venomous serpents, and scorpions..." (Devarim 8:15), whence his power issues. He found enough gold to fit, he found Aaron, through whom it may be strengthened by the right and be included into. Then the place OF THE OTHER SIDE was ready on all sides as fit. It came out and the deed was done.
322. Whence do we know the spirit of defilement was there? From what is written, "Oh, this people has sinned a great sin" (Shemot 32:31), referring to the spirit of defilement, the primordial serpent, we mentioned in several places. When Aaron wanted to be purged, he offered a calf AS A SIN OFFERING, to deal punishment to that side, BY SLAUGHTERING AND OFFERING IT ON THE ALTAR. At first, he let it rule, and now he deals it Judgment to subdue it, because when Judgment is executed upon that side, all its rulers are subdued.