511. The second chamber pertains to the secret of the Faith, so as to be united within the mystery above. This chamber is more recondite and concealed than the first. There are three openings to this chamber, and one chieftain in charge over them, named Urfaniel, DERIVED FROM 'THE LIGHT (HEB. OR) OF THE FACE (HEB. PANIM)', BECAUSE HE STANDS ON THE EAST SIDE CALLED 'FACE'. This chieftain rules over the three directions south, north and east - south on this side, RIGHT, CHESED; north on that side, LEFT, GVURAH; and east in the middle, THE SECRET OF TIFERET, THE MEDIATING COLUMN.
512. Of the three openings to the three Columns, the two are closed, and THE OPENING in the middle is open, in the secret of the verse, "as it were the very heaven for clearness" (Shemot 24:10), REFERRING TO THE SECRET OF THE OPEN GATE IN THE MIDDLE, TIFERET, CALLED 'HEAVEN'. The chieftain URFANIEL stands at the open gate, TO THE EAST. Under him there are two other chieftains, in charge over the other two closed openings, OF THE SOUTH AND NORTH.
513. All the souls executed by court order or killed by other nations, are all numbered by THE THREE CHIEFTAINS, and the chief above them engraves their forms upon his garments of burning fire. He raises them above, and shows them to his Master. THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE then takes them, and engraves those killed by other nations on His garments.
514. Those executed by court order are lowered by the chieftain and put behind the two closed gates, where two other chiefs stand. From there THE SOULS see the glory of those who kept the Torah and His precepts. They are ashamed of themselves and get burned by their canopies. Then the chieftain in charge opens the east gate before them, lights their way, and gives them life starting at the east gate. In his hand there is a cup of life, full of lights, called 'the cup of consolation', the cup of life. It is because they drank first of another cup, OF DEATH, FOR THEY WERE KILLED, that they now deserve this one.
515. In the same manner, there is, in the chamber of defilement of the Other Side, another chieftain, with a cup in his hands called 'a cup of bitterness', a cup of His fury. We learned that there is wine and wine. Here also, there is a cup and a cup. Of all, some is for the better and some for worse. HE EXPLAINS: Wine is for the better, as it is written, "And wine that makes glad the hearts of men" (Tehilim 104:15), and there is wine for the worse, as it is written, "a cup, with foaming wine; it is full of mixture" (Tehilim 75:9). A good cup is as it is written, "I will raise a cup of salvation" (Tehilim 116:13). An evil cup is as it is written, "The cup of His fury...the cup of bitterness" (Yeshayah 51:17).
516. As there are on the side of holiness chambers and chieftains, all for the good, holy spirits and holy aspects, so there are on the side of defilement, chambers and chieftains all for the evil, spirits of defilement in charge, and all aspects of unholiness. These are against those, like the Good Inclination and the Evil Inclination, all part of one mystery.
517. This chamber is called 'chamber of splendor', since in it there is a spirit called 'Urfaniel', a never changing splendor, ILLUMINATING CONSTANTLY ONLY WITH THE WHITE LIGHT IN IT, WHICH IS CHESED. It stands within the concealed light shining from above, FROM THE THIRD CHAMBER, and within the light illuminating from below, COMING FROM THE SPIRIT OF THE FIRST CHAMBER THAT ASCENDED HERE. And when the light of below OF THE FIRST CHAMBER, strikes the upper light HERE, then this spirit shines as sight in the eyes. And when it rolls, it spreads a glowing light, full of splendor. Therefore, this chamber is called 'splendor'.
518. The spirit called 'Urfaniel' shines upon this chamber and upon the first chamber, as the spirit of the first chamber illuminates openly, from the spirit HERE that is concealed. Therefore, this spirit travels up and down, in the secret of the verse, "your rounded thighs are like jewels" (Shir Hashirim 7:2), FOR THIS IS THE CHAMBER OF HOD, AND NETZACH AND HOD ARE CALLED 'THIGHS'. SINCE THE LIGHT IS CONCEALED, IT IS CALLED 'ROUNDED' (HEB. CHAMUKEI), HINTING AT CONCEALMENT, LIKE IN THE VERSE, "BUT MY BELOVED HAD TURNED AWAY (HEB. CHAMAK) AND WAS GONE" (SHIR HASHIRIM 5:6). "Rounded (thighs)" IS IN THE PLURAL, because there is another spirit here, on the left side, who came out OF URFANIEL, and joined him. Therefore it is written, "rounded thighs," referring to the two. The spirit of the left is called 'Hadarniel', FROM HOD AND HADAR (ENG. 'MAJESTY'). They are included and joined together, being "the very heaven" (Shemot 24:10) comprising fire and water, NAMELY, THE TWO SPIRITS, RIGHT AND LEFT. RIGHT IS WATER AND LEFT IS FIRE.
519. It is written, "As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain..." (Yechezkel 1:28). The first spirit, Urfaniel, is concealed both above and below, shining. It is "something like the color of electrum" (Ibid. 27), NOT EXACTLY ELECTRUM (HEB. CHASHMAL), THE SECRET OF 'CHAYOT ESH MEMALELOT' (LIT. 'MOTTERING FIERY LIVING CREATURES') BECAUSE IT CANNOT BE UTTERED, THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH. But sometimes it is electrum, WHEN IT COMPRISES HADARNIEL, from which come all the Seraphim. FOR ELECTRUM (HEB. CHASHMAL) COMPRISES THE LETTERS "Cha-yot e-sh me-mal-et"; ALSO the living creatures exist and exist not, MEANING THAT THEY SOMETIMES TALK AND SOMETIMES ARE QUIET. Therefore it is electrum.
520. Through Urfaniel, life is made known to the world. When the world is acquitted, this spirit shines, and there are life and joy, for with acquittal, the Judgments ARE ANNULLED AND shine. Then this spirit shines, as seen by the verse, "In the light of the king's countenance (Heb. or pnei) is life" (Mishlei 16:15), ALLUDING TO THE LETTERS OF URFANIEL.