207. The Faithful Shepherd said, One has to know how the prayers were instituted to parallel the sacrifices. For there are prayers are three. Shacharit (the morning prayer) parallels "The one lamb you shall offer in the morning" (Shemot 29formatting problems throughout:39 and Bemidbar 28:4), as it is said: "And Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before Hashem" (Beresheet 19:27), and the sages have taught that standing means prayer. "and the other lamb you shall offer towards evening" (Shemot 29:39 and Bemidbar 28:4) parallels Minchah (the afternoon prayer), which was set by Isaac, as it is said: "And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide" (Beresheet 24:63), and there is no meditation that is not prayer. Arvit (the evening prayer) parallels the parts and the fat which are devoured all night. And it is said, "And he lighted on a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set" (Beresheet 28:11). Lighting upon refers to nothing else than prayer.
208. Since we have referred to the story in our discussion, THERE IS A POINT IN ASKING why scripture says, "and he took of the stones of that place, and put them under his head, and lay down in that place to sleep" (Beresheet 28:11). Did he not have pillows and cushions to lie ON? AND HE ANSWERS: When the groom comes to the bride, even if he is used to lying on pillows and cushions, should she give him stones to lie on, he should accept everything willingly. And we have already learned this, and it is also stated in the first compilation. With respect to the verse: "And when Jacob saw them, he said" (Beresheet 32:3), Rabbi Shimon said: Sit down. And scripture says...CONTINUES ON VERSE 238. End of Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd).
209. Rabbi Pinchas said, I have been thinking: Keeping certainly is in the heart, which is why it is written: "Keep" (Devarim 5:12), of the heart, WHICH IS MALCHUT, and of nowhere else. 'Remembering' (Heb. zechirah) is a matter of the male (Heb. zachar), namely in the brain, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, that rides and controls the heart. Remembering pertains to the brain alone and it is therefore written: "Remember THE SHABBAT DAY" (Shemot 20:8), for the male, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, while "Keep THE SHABBAT DAY" (Devarim 5:12) is for the female, WHICH IS MALCHUT. The brain, which is the male, ZEIR ANPIN, mounts and controls the heart, WHICH IS MALCHUT. The heart controls and mounts the liver, and liver is Samael and Serpent intertwined, and they are one. And they are the lobe of the liver and the liver, and so it is with the sacrifice. The lobe of the liver is Serpent, and the liver is food for the male, the male, who is the secret of Samael.
210. Rabbi Shimon said: That is certainly how it is, and it is good, and it is a clarification of the matter and thus are the secret of the hidden matters of the sacrifice. The liver receives FIRST, together with its lobe, which are Samael and SERPENT his mate, and all those arteries that are in the liver are their hosts and encampments, and their receiving is that they devour the fatty parts and the fat of the sacrifice, as it is written: "and the fat that is upon them" (Shemot 29:22). And then everything is offered to the heart.
211. And the heart does not receive from the whole of the sacrifice, but only from the confession made with it, which ascends with the smoke and the prayer that is made over the sacrifice. SUBSEQUENTLY, the heart offers to the brain the desire of the unification of the priests in it and the rejoicing of the Levites. This brain, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, is the light that comes from the supernal Brain, WHICH IS ABA AND IMA, and the SUPERNAL Brain offers to the All-Hidden who is completely unknown, THAT IS, KETER, and everything is interconnected. And the brain, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, offers pleasure to all, TO ALL THE UPPER BEINGS.
212. The arteries that are in the liver, are Ishim, NAMELY THE ANGELS OF THE EVIL FORCES, and all these are their hosts. The liver is as we said, THAT IS SAMAEL, while the lobe OF THE LIVER, which is feminine, is his female. And why IS IT CALLED 'lobe' (Heb. yoteret, derived from left-over)? It is because she does not join together with the male, WHICH IS SAMAEL, unless she has some spare time left over after the prostitution in which she engages, and after she leaves him. YOTERET MEANS LEFT OVER, FOR SHE LEAVES THE MALE, AND MAKES HIM INTO A LEFT-OVER, AFTER ALL HER FORNICATIONS. Again, the female is, therefore, CALLED 'yoteret,' for when she wants to join together with a man TO MAKE HIM SIN, she first of all becomes for him as left-overs, without any importance, NAMELY WITHOUT THE POWER TO RULE OVER MAN, FOR AT FIRST A SIN IS AS THE BREADTH OF A HAIR. Later she draws close to him, little by little, until she is in one union with him, AND HE CAN NO LONGER SEPARATE HIMSELF FROM HER. And from those arteries that are in the liver, other forces of a number of types spread out, and they all take the limbs and the fats THAT ARE BURNT ON THE ALTAR AT NIGHT, and all of them are included in the liver, WHICH IS SAMAEL.
213. And the heart, which is the main thing in holiness, NAMELY MALCHUT, takes and offers to the brain as we have learned. The heart rests over the two kidneys, WHICH ARE NETZACH AND HOD, and they are two Cherubs, who are advisers, IN THE SECRET OF THE ADVISING KIDNEYS. THAT IS TO SAY THEY ARRANGE THE BOUNTY THAT DESCENDS FROM ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT IN THE SECRET OF THE HEAVENS THAT GRIND THE MANNA FOR THE RIGHTEOUS, WHICH ARE RIGHTEOUS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS, NAMELY YESOD AND MALCHUT. And they are far and near, right and left. FOR WHEN NETZACH, WHICH IS RIGHT, IS IN CONTROL THEY ARE NEAR, BUT WHEN HOD, WHICH IS LEFT, IS IN CONTROL THEY ARE FAR. And all of them take and eat FROM THE LIGHT OF THE UNION AFFECTED BY THEIR SACRIFICE, each one as befits it, until everything is connected together as one.
214. "The sacrifices of Elohim are a broken spirit" (Tehilim 51:19). This, namely a broken spirit, confession, and prayer is an approach offered to the heart. For it is certain that: "and the spirit returns to the Elohim who gave it" (Kohelet 12:7), NAMELY A BROKEN SPIRIT ASCENDS TO ELOHIM WHO IS MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED 'HEART.' And the liver, WHICH IS SAMAEL, offers it closer to the heart, for it HAS BECOME a good advocate for it. And everything is one bond in the sacrifice.
215. And from the liver, WHICH REPRESENTS SAMAEL, come all the diseases and illnesses to all parts of the body, and they rest in it. But the heart, WHICH REPRESENTS MALCHUT, is the purest of all THE PARTS OF THE BODY, and from it are derived all goodness, all health of all the parts, and all the strength and all the joy and all the perfection needed by all the parts.