362. It is written: "the appendix of the liver" (Vayikra 9:10), and also: "the appendix above the liver" (Vayikra 3:4). "The appendix of the liver" MEANS a woman of harlotry, THAT IS LILIT, who comes out and emerges from the liver, THAT IS SAMAEL, to mislead people and denounce them, and she leaves the male to practice prostitution. And that is why IT IS WRITTEN: "the appendix of the liver;" "the appendix above the liver" MEANS THAT, after her fornications, she rises above him. She has "a harlot's forehead" (Yirmeyah 3:3) and subdues her husband, who is SAMAEL, WHO IS CALLED 'liver,' with the anger of the gall, being a quarrelsome and anger-prone wife who rules over her male. THUS "The harlot's forehead" has control over the liver, WHICH IS SAMAEL, BECAUSE SHE IS a quarrelsome, angry woman AND IS THEREFORE CALLED "THE APPENDIX ABOVE THE LIVER."
363. "The appendix of the liver:" BECAUSE SHE emerges from the liver, WHO, AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, IS SAMAEL HER HUSBAND, in order to harm the whole world and practice adultery with all. She then mounts the male, with "a harlot's forehead," audaciously, and she is then above the liver. Also, she is called "the appendix of the liver," from another point of view, for after she has gone out to play prostitute with all, she gives the leftovers to her husband, and this is the meaning of "the appendix of the liver," appendix IS DERIVED FROM LEFTOVERS.
364. From the liver and the appendix, WHICH ARE SAMAEL AND LILIT, emerges the gall, which is the sword of the Angel of Death, from which come bitter drops to kill people. It is written: "Her end is bitter (Heb. marah) as wormwood" (Mishlei 5:4). And THE GALL (HEB. MARAHA) is hanging over the liver, all sickness and death coming from it, FROM THE KLIPAH THAT IS CALLED 'GALL.' And on that day of Rosh Hashanah, she prowls through the world, collecting up all the sins that are in the world. And then all the parts, which are Yisrael, are in trouble, FOR YISRAEL are the parts of the Shechinah, AS IT IS SAID: "The soul of man is the candle of Hashem" (Mishlei 20:27), WHICH MEANS THAT THE SOUL OF MAN IS DERIVED FROM THE CANDLE OF HASHEM, which is the holy Shechinah. And then, ON ROSH HASHANAH, all Yisrael are in trouble, so they take a Shofar to awaken with it those calls: T'kiah, Sh'varim, T'ruah.
365. Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd). The Faithful Shepherd said: Certain it is that since the limbs and the arteries of the heart, that are likened to Yisrael, are in trouble, they have to awaken in the trachea pipe, which is the secret of the Shofar, this being the windpipe connected to the lung. Since the lobes of the lung are unable to quiet the anger of the gall, which overcomes the arteries of the heart and all the arteries in the limbs of the body, that breath, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF CHASSADIM that blows in them, rises in the trachea, which is a Shofar, namely the World to Come. FOR A SHOFAR IS THE SECRET OF BINAH THAT IS CALLED 'THE WORLD TO COME.' And so it has been taught: The esophagus is like this world, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF MALCHUT, eating and drinking in it, NAMELY THE MOCHIN OF CHASSADIM AND CHOCHMAH THAT ARE TERMED EATING AND DRINKING. The trachea is likened to the World to Come, WHICH IS BINAH, for there is no eating and drinking pertain to it, FOR THOSE MOCHIN ARE NOT DISCLOSED THERE IN BINAH, BUT IN MALCHUT.
366. And after the Vav of esophagus (Heb. veshet - Vav Shin Tet) has wandered off (HEB. shat - Shin Tet), because of the great amount of eating that it robbed, it grew longer, AND THE VAV BECAME A FINAL NUN and becomes the Satan (Sin Tet Nun). Who caused that? "The people wandered about (Heb. shatu) and gathered..." (Bemidbar 11:8), 'SHATU,' CAN BE DERIVED FROM THE WORD 'SH'TUT' (ENG. 'STUPIDITY'). FOR THAT ONE brought about their stupidity in that they intermingled with the foolish mixed multitude whose craving was for food and drink and robbery and violence, "For the violence done to the poor, for the sighing of the needy" (Tehilim 12:6). They went astray with a bent Nun, for they ate without grinding it. And what is written about them? "And while the meat was yet between their teeth, before it was chewed, the wrath of Hashem was inflamed against the people" (Bemidbar 11:33). For the Vav of shatu (Shin Tet Vav), wandered about, expanded AND BECAME A FINAL NUN, THUS MAKING THE SATAN. And he whose spirit is bowed down is as a BENT Nun, THAT IS TO SAY THAT THE SANCTITY HAD BECOME A BENT NUN, BUT THE OTHER SIDE A STRAIGHT FINAL NUN. And the result of this was that the Satan spread through eating and drinking and overcame all the limbs and the arteries with the 365 negative precepts, FOR ALL 365 DAYS OF THE SOLAR YEAR. And this is as the numerical value of Hasatan (the Satan), minus one, which is THE DAY OF Yom Kippur WHICH HE DOES NOT HAVE, on which there is no eating and drinking. THUS THE SATAN HAS NO CONTROL ON YOM KIPPUR, AND IS SHORT ONE DAY OF THE FULL 365.
367. AND YOM KIPPUR is like the trachea OF THE LUNG, WHICH IS BINAH AND THE WORLD TO COME, AS ABOVE. And it is Vav, the son (Heb. ben) of Yud Hei. And in respect thereof, the sages of the Mishnah taught: "He who sees a reed (Heb. kaneh) in a dream, attains wisdom, for it says "Get (Heb. k'neh) wisdom, get understanding" (Mishlei 4:5). For there is no kaneh that is less than both, namely, Yud Chochmah, Hei Binah, FOR THERE IS NO BINAH WITHOUT CHOCHMAH AND NO CHOCHMAH WITHOUT BINAH. And this is why they should awaken the Shofar, for it is a trachea, AS ABOVE, which is the World to Come, a long world, THAT RECEIVES FROM ARICH (ENG. 'LONG') ANPIN, from whom come the thirteen attributes of Mercy, which are in numerical value Vav-Aleph-Vav, of which the Aleph is THE SECRET OF Erech (Eng. 'long'), and the two Vavs are THE SECRET OF Apayim (Eng. 'suffering,' lit. 'two noses').
368. And Supernal Ima is T'kiah from the side of Abraham, WHO IS CHESED. Sh'varim are from the side of Isaac, WHO IS GVURAH. T'ruah is from the side of Jacob, WHO IS TIFERET. The lower Shechinah, WHICH IS MALCHUT, is the link (Heb. kesher - Kof Shin Resh) between them all, FOR SHE RECEIVES THEM ALL. AND THE WORD KESHER IS FORMED FROM THE INITIAL LETTERS OF T'KIAH, SH'VARIM, T'RUAH, WHERE T'kiah is Kof, Sh'varim is Shin, and T'ruah is Resh. And all of them are sounded thrice in the Shechinah, as it is written: 'They proclaim You thrice holy.' For the voice cannot come out OF THE BODY other than through the mouth. So here, too, the Shechinah must not be separated from the Holy One, blessed be He, for about the Holy One, blessed be He, it is said: "The voice of Hashem hews out flames of fire" (Tehilim 29:7). And the Shechinah is "the prayer of every mouth." And these are the mnemonics: Kof Shin Resh Kof, Kof Shin Kof, Kof Resh Kof. AND THE BLOWS ARE EXPLAINED ABOVE. End of Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd).
369. The Shofar is taken in order to awaken with it T'ruah and T'kiah, WHICH ARE harsh Judgment with Mercy, FOR THE T'RUAH IS HARSH JUDGMENT, AND T'KIAH IS MERCY. And Sh'varim T'KIAH means lenient Judgment with Mercy, SINCE SH'VARIM IS LENIENT JUDGMENT AND T'KIAH IS MERCY. And then they thus awaken on high and intermingle with each other, THAT IS, JUDGMENT WITH MERCY AND MERCY WITH JUDGMENT.
370. Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd). And in the first compilation, the Faithful Shepherd said that through this the Satan was mitigated and the final Nun of veshet (Eng. 'esophagus' - Vav Shin Tet), was folded AND IT RETURNED TO BE A VAV. Where THE ESOPHAGUS became the Satan, it is now put back, and becomes an esophagus again, as it was. This is because "the voice is the voice of Jacob" (Beresheet 27:22), for Yisrael have no power through eating and drinking, as do the other nations who inherit this world, whose strength lies in eating and drinking. But AS FOR YISRAEL, their strength is in the voice, which is the World to Come, a long world that was created with the letter Yud. And since the voice of the Shofar WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE MOCHIN OF ZEIR ANPIN THAT ARE CALLED 'VOICE,' WHICH RECEIVES FROM SHOFAR, WHICH IS BINAH, emerges from it, FROM THE YUD WHICH IS CHOCHMAH, the sages said: 'One may not blow less than...ten Shofar verses' NAMELY CORRESPONDING TO THE LETTER YUD (= 10). For with the letter Yud a long world is certainly made, which is Vav, the World to Come, NAMELY THAT RECEIVES MOCHIN OF THE WORLD TO COME, AS ABOVE. And with the letter Hei He created this world, which is small Hei, NAMELY MALCHUT, in which there is eating and drinking of the Torah, NAMELY THE MOCHIN OF CHOCHMAH AND CHASSADIM THAT ARE CALLED 'EATING' AND 'DRINKING.'
371. And there is yet another secret. For after the decree is enacted in the two letters Hei Hei, which are the two courts OF BINAH AND OF MALCHUT, who is able to rescind the decree of both of them, IF NOT Yud Vav OF YUD HEI VAV HEI. For the letter Hei OF YUD HEI VAV HEI is Supernal Ima, BINAH, and Yud is father, CHOCHMAH. And what is written? "Every vow and every binding oath to afflict the soul (which is Hei THAT IS CALLED 'SOUL,' HEB. NEFESH), "her husband may let it stand or her husband may make it void" (Bemidbar 30:14). HERE YUD IS THE HUSBAND OF THE FIRST HEI, WHICH IS BINAH, AND VAV IS THE HUSBAND OF THE SECOND HEI, WHICH IS MALCHUT. THUS THE YUD AND VAV CAN RESCIND THE DECREE OF THE TWO HEIS. It is thus necessary to awaken the voice, that is Vav, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, with the ten Shofar verses, that are Yud, IN ORDER TO ANNUL THE JUDGMENTS OF THE TWO HEIS, WHICH ARE BINAH AND MALCHUT. And the main thing is that each of the Shofar sequences should be sounded in one breath, in the mouth, which is the tenth PART of ten, (THE SEQUENCES BEING T'KIAH, SH'VARIM, T'RUAH, T'KIAH; TEKI'AH, SH'VARIM, T'KIAH; AND FOR T'KIAH, T'RUAH, T'KIAH).