679. Again: "one kid of the goats" (Bemidbar 29:11). There are two goats, about which it is said: "And he shall take the two goats... one lot for Hashem, and the other lot for Azazel" (Vayikra 16:7-8). The goat that is for Hashem IS AN ATONEMENT over the contraction of the moon and is "And one kid of the goats for a sin offering to Hashem" (Bemidbar 28:15). It is therefore referred to as 'one' BECAUSE IT IS from the side of unity. But the goat for Azazel is not referred to as 'one,' neither is it called 'a sacrifice', 'a fire offering', nor 'a burnt offering', but "shall send him away by the hand of an appointed man into the wilderness" (Vayikra 16:21). "And shall send away" is the same term used by Jacob: "it is a present sent to my lord Esau" (Beresheet 32:19). Likewise, THE GOAT FOR AZAZEL is a bribe, in order to break Samael's anger that he should not draw near the Temple, to denounce IT.
680. IT IS LIKE a hungry dog: whoever does not want to be bitten by it gives it meat or bread to eat and water to drink. And the secret of the matter is contained in the verse: "If your enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink" (Mishlei 25:21). He thereby becomes friendly towards the person, and not only does not bite him, with a number of tribulations, but becomes an advocate for him and loves him.
681. HE ASKS, Why is THE GOAT sent TO AZAZEL by the hand of an appointed man who is crippled? HE ANSWERS, because all of the Other Sides are defective, and are called 'goats' (Heb. seirim), as it is written: "and goats (Heb. seirim) shall dance there" (Yeshayah 13:21). And about them it is said: "And they shall no more offer their sacrifices to the demons (Heb. seirim)" (Vayikra 17:7); and also: "They sacrificed to powerless spirits" (Devarim 32:17). And with this goat TO AZAZEL, SAMAEL IS separated from everything and bears all the transgressions that are in Yisrael upon him, as it is written: "and the goat shall bear upon it all their iniquities" (Vayikra 16:22). And furthermore, after that AZAZEL takes all THE TRANSGRESSIONS and bears them, NAMELY, THAT THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, SHALL BEAR AND FORGIVE, the Holy One, blessed be He, is called "forgiving (bearing) iniquity" (Shemot 34:7), AND ABOUT THE GOAT FOR AZAZEL IT IS WRITTEN: "AND THE GOAT SHALL BEAR UPON IT ALL THEIR INIQUITIES." What is the difference between these two types of bearing? HE ANSWERS, "bear" means CARRYING a burden, while "bearing" MEANS the removal of the burden, NAMELY, THAT HE ATONES FOR THE INIQUITIES. AND ALL OF THIS IS EXPLAINED ABOVE. End of Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd).
682. And: "three tenth measures" (Bemidbar 29:9) namely, it is her three first grades, NAMELY KETER, CHOCHMAH AND BINAH, each one of which is MADE UP of ten, as it is above, WITH ZEIR ANPIN; and by tenth measures IS MEANT one part in ten, FOR MALCHUT IS ONE OF THE TEN SFIROT OF ZEIR ANPIN, AND EACH INDIVIDUAL SFIRAH OF HERS CORRESPONDS TO ONE OF TEN IN ZEIR ANPIN, AND THEY ARE THEREFORE CALLED 'TENTH MEASURES'. And one goat for a sin offering: HE ASKS why it is called 'a sin offering'? AND ANSWERS, because it is a sin and is from the side of sin, THAT IS TO SAY: A PORTION OF IT IS FOR THE OTHER SIDE, AND IT IS THEREFORE FROM THE SIDE OF SIN. Rabbi Elazar said, But it is written: "To Hashem (Bemidbar 28:15)!" HOW THEN CAN YOU SAY THAT IT IS FROM THE SIDE OF SIN?! AND ANSWERS, it is certainly sacrificed to Hashem, for it is written: "to make atonement" (Ibid. 21), namely, to break the face OF THE OTHER SIDE, so everything will be sacrificed to the Sanctuary, but one portion is also given to Samael, and he eats it, AND FOR THIS REASON does not take hold of the other sacrifices. This sacrifice alone IS FOR HIM TO EAT, and no other sacrifice is joined with him for him to eat.
683. He, SAMAEL, enjoys the banquet of the King with this portion THAT HE TAKES FROM THE GOAT FOR A SIN OFFERING and he therefore rejoices and leaves Yisrael alone and does not accuse them. And were it not for contraction of the moon, NAMELY, MALCHUT, nothing at all would be given TO SAMAEL from the King's banquet. HE ASKS: And what does he do in the contraction of the moon? AND ANSWERS: Because he comes close and suckles FROM THE VACATED PLACE IN MALCHUT, and takes power for his people from the side of the left of the moon, WHICH IS MALCHUT, and grows strong in it, and in this goat, A PORTION OF WHICH IS GIVEN TO HIM, he abandons everything and gains his enjoyment from this. And because the Holy One, blessed be He, contracted the moon, FOR HE SAID TO IT 'GO AND CONTRACT YOURSELF', therefore this goat is sacrificed, so that SAMAEL will depart from it and not come close to the Sanctuary, WHICH IS MALCHUT. And thus we learned THAT THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, SAID: 'Bring an atonement over me', FOR I HAVE CONTRACTED THE MOON. 'Over Me', namely, for Me, for I contracted it, and it is because of Me, SINCE I CONTRACTED IT, that you need this, THAT YOU NEED TO SACRIFICE A GOAT IN ORDER TO SEPARATE HIM FROM THE PLACE OF THE CONTRACTION OF MALCHUT.