228. Rabbi Shimon said to him, I certainly am aware that you are dressed there with the precious robe of a pure holy body. HE ASKS: Is there something similar in this world? IS THERE a person who appears here in that body, as you stand in that world?
229. He said to him, This matter was asked by two youths, MEANING YOUNG MEN, in the presence of the dean of the Yeshivah. They were clothed among us after suffering pain about a sin that is improper to reveal, and this question was put to the head of the Yeshivah. He replied that something similar happened in this world. How do we know? Since it is written: "Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther put on her royal (lit. 'of Malchut') apparel" (Ester 5:1), MEANING THAT she was robed in the fashion of that world, Malchut, WHICH MEANS HERE, the Holy Spirit. For the Kingdom of Heaven, WHICH IS MALCHUT OF ZEIR ANPIN THAT IS CALLED HEAVEN, blows a wind (spirit) from the spirit of the air of that world, and Esther was robed in it.
230. When she entered into the presence of King Ahasuerus and he saw that robe of light, her form seemed to him like an angel of Elohim, and he lost his soul for an instant. Mordechai too WAS ENSHROUDED IN THE ROBES OF THAT WORLD, as it is written: "And Mordechai went out from the presence of the king in royal (lit. 'of Malchut') apparel" (Ester 8:15), verily the apparel of Malchut that is the form of that world. Therefore, it is written: "Because the fear of Mordechai had fallen upon them" (Ester 9:3), the fear of Mordechai and not the fear of Ahasuerus, THAT IS, NOT BECAUSE AHASUERUS HAD MADE HIM GREAT, BUT RATHER BECAUSE OF HIS GARMENT OF THAT WORLD. Rabbi Shimon said, How sweet are these matters. Blessed is my lot. I am aware that the just in this world get shrouded with that robe that is called the robe of Malchut, and that is definitely so.
231. He said to him, The air of the Garden of Eden is the blowing of the Holy Spirit and the righteous are robed in it as they were in this world. Then, the Holy Spirit dwells upon the head of each individual. He is adorned with it and it becomes a crown to him. The same happened to Mordechai, as it is written: "in apparel of Malchut," WHICH MEANS in the form of that world, and then, "with a great crown of gold;'' that is, in the crown that rests on the heads of the righteous in that world. When Yisrael received the Torah, they also had similar ones, MEANING ROBES OF THAT WORLD, until they sinned, as it is written: "And the children of Yisrael stripped themselves of their ornaments by the Mount Horeb" (Shemot 33:6), THAT IS, stripping themselves of that garment.
232. Similarly, we find written about Joshua, the High Priest, "Take off the filthy garments from him...and clothed him with garments" (Zecharyah 3:4-5). These are the robes of that world. From here, WE DERIVE our earlier words THAT THERE IS A NEED TO FIRST CLOSE THE EYES FROM ALL SIGHTS OF THIS WORLD, WHICH ARE CONSIDERED AS FILTHY GARMENTS. THEN YOU COULD DESERVE TO SEE THE SIGHT OF THAT WORLD, WHICH ARE NEW ROBES, WITH WHICH THEY DRESSED JOSHUA. From here, we learn that during the entire period that the body of this world, WHICH IS REFERRED TO AS "FILTHY GARMENTS," remains in the grave, the spirit does not acquire the robe of that world, since it is written first: "Take off the filthy garments from him," and then: "And clothed him with garments." AND IT IS WRITTEN: "And the angel of Hashem stood by" (Ibid. 5). HE INQUIRES: What is the meaning of "stood?'' HE RESPONDS: Only that this is the crown, referred to as the angel of Hashem, that stands upon the heads of the righteous, AS MENTIONED BEFORE. That is WHAT IS WRITTEN: "stood," MEANING it stands above the head after they are adorned with this precious garment.
233. Two bodies cannot exist together. As long as the one OF THIS WORLD exists, the spirit cannot accept another ROBE OF THAT WORLD. When this one, FROM THIS WORLD, passes away, the other one is instantly ready. Assuredly, this one leaves and that one enters. It is similar to the Good Inclination and Evil Inclination in this world, both of which the Holy One, blessed be He, does not wish to exist simultaneously in one BODY. IF THE EVIL INCLINATION DOMINATES, THE GOOD INCLINATION FLEES AND IF THE GOOD INCLINATION DOMINATES, THE EVIL INCLINATION FLEES.
234. He said to him, I wonder about what is written: "And the adversary standing at his right hand to thwart him" (Ibid. 1). If it is this way with Joshua, the son of Josedech, it could most definitely happen to the rest of the people. He said to him, Holy pious one, how hidden and concealed those matters are. Although our friends are familiar with matters of that world, they are unable to comprehend such secrets.
235. He said to him, Since a person is in that world, what benefit is there for the Satan to thwart him? Is he not satisfied that he already took his soul and killed him? He said to him, Oh, holy pious one, praised is your lot. Come and observe. The only desire that the Satan had was to prevent that righteous one, JOSHUA SON OF JOSEDECH, from being robed in this pure and holy garment. As soon as the Satan realized that his dress, THAT IS, THE SOILED GARMENTS, were pushed aside and were not considered worthy, he then tried to thwart him. What is the reason? Because once he is robed in that precious garment, instantly that soiled garment and the evil activity of the Satan would be voided and removed from the world. THAT IS WHY the Satan tried to prevent this.
236. In addition, as long as he did not get dressed IN THE GARMENT OF THAT WORLD, the spirit visits that soiled body of his, and the Satan is pleased. However, as soon as he dressed up in that precious garment OF THAT WORLD, all types of the Evil Inclinations were voided, his body was gone and there was never any memory of it.
237. If you should ask here, we THE SPIRITS visit the cemetery at the beginning of each night, EVEN IF THE BODY HAS ALREADY BEEN REMOVED FROM THE WORLD. THE QUESTION MUST BE POSED AS TO WHY WE VISIT THE GRAVE. HE RESPONDS: This visit is not about the body, but rather about the Nefesh. As long as the flesh ON THE BODY is still in existence, the Ruach visits the Nefesh and the Nefesh visits the body. However, WHEN THE FLESH OF THE BODY WAS GONE FROM THE WORLD, our visiting is to the Nefesh that has quieted down and remained embedded in the bones OF THE BODY, SINCE A CERTAIN BONE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN IN THE GRAVE, FROM WHICH IT IS BUILT AT THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD. Therefore, at the beginning of each night, the visiting of the Ruach is for the Nefesh and not for the flesh.