122. They opened the discussion with a discourse on the verse, "and they had the hands of a man under their wings" (Yechezkel 1:8). This verse, the friends explained, are the hands to receive penitents who return to the Holy One, blessed be He. "...The hands of a man..." are the forms and spiritual mysteries which the Holy One, Blessed be He, impressed upon man and arranged in his fingers, outwardly and inwardly, and in his palm. THAT IS, THE PALM OF HIS HAND.
123. When the Holy One, blessed be He, created man, He arranged in him all the forms of the supernal mysteries of the world above, WHICH IS BINAH, and all the images of the lower mysteries of the world below, WHICH IS MALCHUT. And all is carved in man and found in the image of Elohim, because he is called "the creation of the palm," WHICH IS THE PALM OF THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE.
124. And the mystery of the palm (Heb. caf) is of the letter which is called 'Caf,' as it is written, "And Elohim created Man in His own image" (Beresheet 1:27). This is the secret of the letter Caf. This letter has supernal secrets and spiritual forms. This Caf, WHICH IS THE PALM OF THE HAND, contains ten sayings from right and left - five in the right PALM and five in the left PALM. And all are one, in one secret - THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT ARE UNITED INTO ONE.
125. It is written, "I will also smite My one palm upon the other" (Yechezkel 21:22). ITS EXPLANATION is that this one and that one shall be in conflict so that blessings will be removed from this world, and the pride of Yisrael will be given over to the other nations. THIS IS BECAUSE FROM THE UNIFICATION OF RIGHT AND LEFT THERE CONTINUE FROM THE LEFT THE THREE FIRST SFIROT TO YISRAEL, WHICH IS THEIR PRIDE. WHEN THEY ARE DIVIDED, THE OTHER NATIONS SUCKLE FROM THE LEFT COLUMN, AND THE PRIDE OF YISRAEL IS GIVEN OVER TO THE HEATHEN NATIONS. And when they are joined together, it is written, "One spoon (Heb. caf) of ten shekels of gold, full of incense" (Bemidbar 7:14). This is an indication of one connection, WHICH MEANS THE TEN FROM THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT ARE UNITED IN ONE PALM (HEB. CAF). And when they are united in one connection, it is written, "And Elohim created man in His own image..." "And Elohim created," implies the departure of thought through the inner mystery; "man," is the secret of Male and Female together, SINCE ET (ENG. 'THE'), WHICH COMES BEFORE THE WORD "MAN," IS FEMALE, AND "MAN" (HEB. ADAM) IS MALE. "In the image of Elohim," is the mystery of Caf, THAT IS, WHEN TWO RIGHT AND LEFT PALMS WERE UNIFIED INTO ONE CAF, WHEN ALL SUPERNAL MOCHIN EMANATE FROM THEM.
126. When man was created, what is written concerning him, "You have clothed me with skin and flesh..." (Iyov 10:11). HE ASKS, If so, what is man IN HIS ESSENCE? AND HE ANSWERS, If you think THAT MAN is nothing more than skin, flesh, bones and sinews, this is not so. For certainly man is but his soul. And skin, flesh, bones, and sinews, are all only the clothing. These are the implements of man, and not man HIMSELF. And when man passes away, he divests himself of all these implements that he wore.
127. The skin with which man has been clothed and all these bones and sinews, are all in the mystery of the supernal wisdom corresponding to that which is above. AND HE EXPLAINS THAT the skin, corresponding to that which is above, is, as we have learned, in connection with the curtains, as it is written, "Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain" (Tehilim 104:1), "rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins" (Shemot 25:5). These are the garments up above that cover the garments which are like the extensions of the heavens, which is the outer garment. The curtains are the inner garments, corresponding to the skin that protects the flesh. AND THUS IT IS SAID, "WHO STRETCHES OUT THE HEAVENS LIKE A CURTAIN," AS THE CURTAINS ARE THE INNER GARMENTS, AND ON THESE ARE THE HEAVENLY GARMENTS FROM THE OUTSIDE.
128. The bones and the sinews are the Chariots and all the hosts, which are appointed inward. THAT IS, THEY ARE ALL AN INNER ASPECT AND THE FIRST THREE SFIROT OF THE OUTER PART OF THE GRADE, FOR THE SINEWS ARE THE NESHAMAH OF THE GARMENT, AND THE BONES ARE AN ASPECT OF CHAYAH OF THE GARMENT. And all of these are garments to that which is inward, which is also the mystery of the supernal man who is the innermost TO THEM.
129. The same secret is found here below. Man is the inner of the innermost and his garments correspond to that which is above. The bones and the sinews are similar to what we have said regarding the Chariots and hosts, THAT ARE CALLED 'BONES' AND 'SINEWS.' The flesh is a covering to those hosts and Chariots THAT ARE CALLED 'BONES' AND 'SINEWS,' and appears itself outwardly TO THEM. And this is the secret THAT THE FLESH is being drawn FROM HIM to the Other Side. The skin, which covers all, corresponds to the firmaments which cover everything. And all of these are garments to be worn by him, the innermost being the mystery of man. And all is a secret. For what is below corresponds to the above. And thus it is written, "And Elohim created man in His own image, in the image of Elohim" (Beresheet 1:97). For the mystery of man below corresponds entirely to the secret above.
130. In this firmament up above, which covers everything, impressions were set in it to show and know, through these impressions, things and concealed secrets. These are the shapes of the stars and constellations recorded and fixed in this firmament, which covers externally. Similarly, the skin which covers man FROM THE OUTSIDE is like the firmament that covers all, having lines and impressions - which is CONSIDERED TO BE AN ASPECT OF THE stars and constellations of this skin. One may perceive in them hidden things and deep mysteries of the stars and constellations, THAT ARE THE IMPRESSIONS AND LINES IN THE SKIN, through which the wise of heart may study them, and discern the secrets hidden within, as we have stated. And this is the secret of: "the astrologers, the stargazers" (Yeshayah 47:13).
131. And this can be discerned only when the face shines and remains without anger, FOR ONLY THEN CAN WE OBSERVE AND DISCERN, AS MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY. At the time when anger rules over man, another Judgment is applied. And why was this Judgment not allowed to control man? IT IS POSSIBLE to know at the time when Judgment rules the firmament.