807. "And you shall have on the tenth day of this seventh month" which is the month of Tishrei, "a holy gathering" (Bemidbar 29:7), which is Yom Kippur, which is the tenth, which is Yud, and these are the Ten Days of Repentance, and five prayer services were ordained for it in order to join the Yud with the Hei, NAMELY, CHOCHMAH WITH BINAH. What is the meaning of "holy gathering"? It is to differentiate it from other days when secular work is permitted which is why scripture says: "you shall not do any work" (Ibid.).
808. And those days on which secular work may be done are from the side of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, that turned from a rod into a serpent and from a serpent back into a rod, for each person according to his deeds, and this Metatron is rod, while Samael IS serpent. But on this day, which is Yok Kippur that is called 'holy', the Tree of Life is in control, and no devil nor evil spirit joins with it, and from its side "nor shall evil dwell with You" (Tehilim 5:5), BUT IT IS THROUGHOUT GOOD. And this is why in it, in the Tree of Life, the slaves find rest and go out to freedom, and emerge from their chains.
809. Those over whom there is a verdict, A VERDICT NOT TO BE CHANGED under vow or oath, it was decreed for this reason that the following shall be recited: "All vows (Aramaic Kol nidrei), bonds...they shall all of them be released and annulled. They shall not be binding, nor shall they have any power." BUT THE VERDICT SHALL BE VOIDED FROM THEM. And this is why the vow is in the name of Yud Hei Vav Hei, which is Tiferet, while the oath is in the name of Adonai, which is Malchut, for they caused their own exile BY THEIR SINS. AND NOW, by means of Chochmah and Binah, 'they will be released and annulled; they shall not be binding, nor shall they have any power'. "And all the congregation of the children of Yisrael shall be forgiven" (Bemidbar 15:26). Chesed is water, Gvurah is fire, and Tiferet is air, AND SINCE THE VOWS ARE IN TIFERET, WHICH IS AIR, the sages of the Mishnah therefore taught: release from vows hovers in the air, FOR THE RELEASE FROM CHOCHMAH AND BINAH HOVERS IN THE AIR, WHICH IS TIFERET, AND FROM THERE ANNULS THE VOW.
810. And since the oath is from Malchut, which is below the vow WHICH IS TIFERET, they taught that vows are higher than oaths, and they also taught: Everyone who swears an oath is as though he swears on the king himself, and everyone who vows a vow is as though he does so on the life of the king himself. The King himself REFERS TO Adonai, WHICH IS MALCHUT. The life of the King REFERS TO Yud Hei Vav Hei, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, FROM WHOM THE LIFE FLOWS TO THE KING, WHICH IS MALCHUT. And for this reason, IT IS WRITTEN: "If a man vow a vow to Hashem" (Bemidbar 30:3), WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN.
811. And even thus, there is another secret: The life of the King refers to Chochmah, as it is written: "wisdom gives life to those who have it" (Kohelet 7:12). THEREFORE everyone who vows on Yud Hei Vav Hei, which is Tiferet, it is as if he vowed upon Chochmah OF ZEIR ANPIN, which is YUD HEI VAV HEI FULLY SPELLED WITH ALEPH'S, THUS: Yud-Vav -Dalet, Hei- Aleph, Vav-Aleph-Vav, Hei-Aleph, which is the life of the King, WHICH IS THE LIFE OF ZEIR ANPIN. And everyone who swears an oath on Adonai is as though he swore on the King himself. This is because himself (Heb. atzmo) is supernal Ima, NAMELY, BINAH, AND IT IS as though he had sworn on her, namely, on "as it were the very (Heb. etzem) heaven for clearness" (Shemot 24:10), NAMELY, THE MOCHIN OF MALCHUT. For from the aspect of Chesed, MALCHUT IS CALLED "bone (Heb. etzem) of my bones" (Beresheet 2:23). But from the aspect of Gvurah, Malchut is called "and flesh of my flesh" (Ibid.), and in Chochmah, which is the life of Tiferet, NAMELY, ITS MOCHIN, it, TIFERET, rises up to be called 'man', WHICH IS 45 IN NUMERICAL VALUE, as it is written: "the beauty (Tiferet) of a man" (Yeshayah: 44:13). FOR TIFERET IS CALLED 'MAN' WHEN IT HAS THE MOCHIN OF CHOCHMAH, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF WHY HE IS CALLED BY YUD HEI VAV HEI FULLY SPELLED WITH ALEPH'S, THAT HAS THE NUMERICAL VALUE OF 45.
812. And it is said about Yom Kippur: "and you shall afflict your souls" (Bemidbar 29:7) AND ALSO: "in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall afflict your souls" (Vayikra 16:29). And five afflictions were decreed for it, so that small Hei, WHICH IS MALCHUT, should be purified in upper Hei, WHICH IS BINAH, OF WHOSE LEFT COLUMN, THE AFFLICTIONS ARE DRAWN, which are five prayers, to establish in Yisrael: "though your sins be like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow" (Yeshayah 1:18). And this is the secret of the crimson colored strip, WHICH WAS TIED TO THE DOOR OF THE SANCTUARY FROM INSIDE, WHICH, WHEN THE HE-GOAT REACHED THE WILDERNESS, TURNED WHITE. All the iniquities of the House of Yisrael reach to Malchut; and Repentance, which is Binah, purifies (whitens) them, for it is written about it, ABOUT MALCHUT: I AM HASHEM "that remains among them in the midst of their uncleanness" (Vayikra 16:16). And the four garments of white and the four garments of gold for apparel are THE SECRET OF Yud-Aleph-Hei-Dalet-Vav-Nun-Hei- Yud, WHICH IS THE COMBINATION OF THE LETTERS OF YUD HEI VAV HEI AND THOSE OF ADONAI. FOR THE FOUR GARMENTS OF WHITE ARE THE SECRET OF THE FOUR LETTERS OF YUD HEI VAV HEI WHILE THE FOUR GARMENTS OF GOLD ARE THE SECRET OF THE FOUR LETTERS OF ADONAI.
813. And it was decreed that a Shofar be sounded on Yom Kippur, to raise up a voice, which is Vav OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, NAMELY, ZEIR ANPIN, to freedom, WHICH IS BINAH, about which it is said: "In all their affliction He was afflicted (or: 'there was affliction for (Heb. lo) him')" (Yeshayah 63:9). 'LO' IS with Aleph and Vav, THAT IS, in how it is pronounced and written, FOR IT IS SPELLED WITH ALEPH (NO), ALTHOUGH PRONOUNCED WITH VAV (FOR HIM). FOR "IN ALL THEIR AFFLICTION" ALLUDES TO FIVE AFFLICTIONS AND THE JUDGMENTS WHOSE SOURCE IS IN BINAH, IN ITS LEFT COLUMN. AND IN THE SECRET OF THE SHOFAR BLOWING, ZEIR ANPIN IS ALSO RAISED UP THERE TO BINAH, AND THIS IS WHY THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS OF THE TEXT, AS WRITTEN AND AS READ, WITH AN ALEPH AND WITH A VAV, WHERE THE ALEPH ALLUDES TO BINAH, IN THE SECRET OF TEACH (HEB. ALEPH) BINAH, AND THE VAV ALLUDES TO ZEIR ANPIN THAT ASCENDED TO BINAH. And worship on Yom Kippur is conducted at length and comprises three grades: thought, speech, and deed.